State

‘Accommodating all returnees at Dmu challenging’

DIMAPUR, MAY 21 (NPN) | Publish Date: 5/21/2020 12:22:46 PM IST

Despite trying their level best, the issue of accommodation is becoming a huge challenge for Team Dimapur as people from outside the State are arriving by railways and roadways.

Agriculture production commissioner (APC) and in-charge of Dimapur for COVID-19 related activities, Y. Kikheto Sema warned that if Dimapur hosted returnees of Peren and Mon districts in addition to Dimapur-based returnees, there would be hardly any accommodation left even as another special train with 90 Dimapur-bound passengers on board is expected between May 24 and 25 from Gurgaon.

He expressed concern that although no official letter had been received, the cabinet decision as per discussion at 10 am on Thursday for housing Peren and Mon returnees at Dimapur by superseding the earlier decision that returnees of these two districts would be sent to their home districts after their arrival had been communicated. Of the 1,467 passengers on board the special train from Chennai that is expected to reach here on Friday afternoon, 1075 (73%) of them will have to be quarantined at the town, while the remaining 402 (27%) hailing from other districts will be transported to Kohima. 

Mentioning that he would appreciate if the decision was taken by taking into account the ground realities, the APC however added as a public servant he would carry out the instruction. But he cautioned that if returnees of other districts were housed here, within no time there would be no space left for accommodating the returnees hailing from Dimapur.

Observing that every district had an efficient administration and district task force, Kikheto hoped that they would gear up facilities to take in the stranded people of their own districts.

Meanwhile, Kikheto expressed surprise that some colonies/villages and even parents were refusing to come and take their children even after the quarantine period was over.

Ganeshnagar to be quarantine centre

As reported earlier in this newspaper, State government has decided to set up an Institutional Quarantine Centre for the stranded persons returning to Nagaland at the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Ganeshnagar under Dimapur district. 

According to DIPR, DIG Training Chumukedima Aotemsu has been assigned as overall in charge of the Quarantine Centre and he would put in place for all arrangements including food, basic amenities and logistics etc. 

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus