Regional

3227 beds available for treatment of COVID-19 patients in Meghalaya: C.S

Correspondent Shillong, May 14 | Publish Date: 5/14/2020 9:46:51 AM IST

 Meghalaya Chief Secretary M.S.Rao on Thursday said that the State has 3227 beds available for treatment of COVID-19 patients.

Presenting an updated status of health infrastructure at a high-level review meeting between the State government and Opposition leaders,  Rao said the largest Corona Care Centre and quarantine facility in the North East was recently inaugurated at IIM-Shillong in Umsawli with a total capacity of 258 for accommodation of asymptomatic individuals and those with mild symptoms.

“Adequate stock of health equipment is now available across the State – PPEs (1,53,213), 3 ply masks (6,30,300), N95 masks (1,48,678), ventilators (20),” the Chief Secretary informed.

The presentation highlighted the summary of stranded citizens, detailed the entry protocol and gave an insight on the evacuation model being followed to bring back stranded Meghalayans from various parts of the country.

The high-level review meeting chaired by Speaker Metbah Lyngdoh was attended by Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong, Health Minister A L Hek, Home Minister L. Rymbui, Leader of Opposition, Dr Mukul Sangma and other legislators, besides senior officials of various departments.

Rao also updated the status of health infrastructure as well as the testing capacity in the State.

“As of May 13, a total of 2537 tests were conducted wherein 2526 tests were declared negative. The total positive cases were 13 and the number of active cases stands at 1 as per 13th May, 2020. Within the next two weeks, the capacity is expected to increase to 600 tests per day,” he informed.

A total of 3978 stranded individuals were brought back into the state via five entry points at Bajengdoba, North Garo Hills, Byrnihat, Ri Bhoi, Ratacherra, East Jaintia Hills, Tikrikilla, West Garo Hills and Mir Jhumla, South West Garo Hills, Rao said, adding that separate protocols for entry for individuals coming from North East States and those from other states have been put in place.         

“All incoming individuals will have to be under home quarantine, along with families, for a period of 14 days. The Government has made arrangements for support and follow-up for individuals and families under quarantine,” Rao said.

He further stated that a total of 1861 free provision kits were distributed till May 13 for all individuals under mandatory home quarantine.

“Besides this, 2653 home visits were made for enforcing quarantine and a separate web link in the Meghalaya Government portal was created to register stranded citizens  outside North East. So far, over 9400 individuals have registered and 7100 are expected to return,” he said,  adding that elaborate transportation arrangements have been made to bring back Meghalayans stranded in various parts of the country.

The government and the opposition jointly urged the citizens to “accept the returning individuals and not stigmatize against them or their families”, adding that over the course of the coming days, many more individuals would return.         

So far, Meghalaya has registered 13 COVID-19 positive cases, of which one died, 11 recovered and one remains active under treatment in quarantine


-Tags:#M.S.Rao

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus