State

94 being monitored for COVID-19 in state

94 being monitored for COVID-19 in state
Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, FEB 18 (NPN) | Publish Date: 2/18/2020 12:41:43 PM IST

Altogether 94 persons with travel history to China and affected countries have been put under surveillance in the State, out of which 15 had been advised home isolation and were being monitored twice daily. This was stated by Health & Family Welfare (H&FW) minister S. Pangnyu Phom at a press conference at his residence here Tuesday.

Asserting that Nagaland was prepared to face any potential threat (See table), Pangnyu also informed that Nagaland was the first state to report on the special surveillance system portal for novel coronavirus with the Health Ministry. He said screening of passengers arriving at Dimapur airport started on January 30, even as he clarified that no confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) had been found. Nonetheless, he said all surveillance and rapid response teams had been activated and were put on maximum alert.

Reiterating that the State government was geared up for any eventuality, the minister informed newsmen that daily surveillance report was being to Central surveillance unit under Union H&FW minister, while district surveillance units were put on alert and were on maximum vigil.

He said 52 beds had been identified and kept ready in isolation wards of government and military hospitals, even as personal protection equipments (PPE), N95 masks and hand thermal screeners had been provided to deal with the epidemic. And out of the 52 beds, 25 had been identified and kept ready in Dimapur district– five at Dimapur District Hospital and 10 each at Rangapahar and CIHSR.

He said calls were being received on helpline numbers of H&FW department and updates on novel coronavirus were sent through WhatsApp 24x7to all State response teams and district surveillance officers. 

On the ban imposed by the Home department on hunting in view of the spread of coronavirus in China and World Health Organisation (WHO) declaring it a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), he clarified that it was a precautionary measure though there had been no evidence to suggest that the virus had spread from animals to humans.

Meanwhile, H&FW principal director Vizolie Z Suokhrie and H&FW deputy director and spokesperson on corona virus Dr Nyan Kikon have clarified that the 15 travellers who had been quarantined as per the standard protocol of WHO for 14 days would be released. On apprehension of the virus spreading through Chinese goods, Kikon clarified that there was no evidence to suggest that. Though it initially spread from animals to humans, now it was spreading from human to human, he added.

Explaining that 75% of new and emerging diseases were of animal origin, Kikon clarified that till date there had been no confirmation or credible evidence to suggest that it had been transmitted directly from animals. On the other hand, persons with travel history to China or affected countries from January 15, 2020 have been asked to declare or report to-- 7005415243, 9856071745 and 7005539653 or email nlssu.idsp@nic.in for more information. 

 

-Tags:#COVID-19

Launched on December 3,1990. Nagaland Post is the first and highest circulated newspaper of Nagaland state. Nagaland Post is also the first newspaper in Nagaland to be published in multi-colour.

Desk:+91-3862-248 489, e-mail: npdesk@gmail.com Fax: +91-3862-248 500
Advt.:+91-3862-248 267, e-mail:npostadvt@gmail.com

QUICK LINKS

SUNDAY POST

Join us on

© Nagaland Post 2018. All Rights are Reserved
Designed by : 4C Plus