Kanimozhi, DMK MP and former Tamilnadu chief minister M. Karunanidhi’s daughter, is the latest high-profile entrant to Tihar Central Jail -- following in the steps of over a dozen VIPs who are already lodged in India’s largest prison.
“Kanimozhi is already in Tihar. She is in Jail number 6, which is women’s cell, and ward number 8. She is kept in a separate cell,” R.N. Sharma, deputy inspector general for prisons, told IANS.
Sharma also informed that there will be no VIP treatment for Kanimozhi, who is used to comforts of high life.
Like the other high-profile entrants, she will also follow the jail’s schedule.
“She has been given a separate cell with attached toilet. The cell has television, fans and light. She can have south Indian food. This is not a special allowance as such because we give many other jail inmates who take south Indian food like idli, vada and sambar,” Sharma added.
He also said that as per norms she will be allowed to meet relatives twice a week.
The court allowed Kanimozhi, 43, to carry her medicines, books and reading glasses to the jail. It even allowed her home food, but declined her plea to be allowed to continue wearing her nose-pin while in jail.
The court rejected the submission of her counsel that she be granted bail because she is a woman.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had named Kanimozhi and Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar as co-conspirators in its April 25 supplementary charge sheet after it traced an illegal money trail of Rs.214 crore in the 2G scam.
“The allegations in the instant case are that parties were in conspiracy with each other and in the conspiracy, each party is considered agent of the other and one cannot perform his act or role without the support from other,” said the court.
Some of the other high-profile inmates currently in Tihar Jail include former communications minister A. Raja -- an accused in the 2G spectrum case, former chief of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Suresh Kalmadi, who is in custody over financial irregularities in the conduct of the games, and other senior officials of the organising committee.
Fact sheet : 2G Scam case:
Here is a fact sheet on those involved in 2G telecom spectrum allocation case being probed by the CBI and other agencies:
* The court dealing with the case: Special CBI Court of Judge O.P Saini
* Bail pleas heard by: Justice Ajit Bharihoke of Delhi High Court
* CBI’s Senior Prosecutor: U.U. Lalit
Those named as co-acused in the first formal charges filed April 2 with their lawyers in parenthesis:
* Former telecom Minister A. Raja (Manu Sharma)
* Aide R.K. Chandolia (Smriti Sinha)
* Former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura (S.S. Gandhi)
* Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa (Meenakshi Lekhi)
* Swan Telecom’s Vinod Goenka (Mukul Rohtagi)
* Unitech’s Sanjay Chandra (K.T.S. Tulsi)
* Anil Ambani Group’s Gautam Doshi (Soli Sorabjee)
* Anil Ambani Group’s Surendra Pipara (N.K. Kaul)
* Anil Ambani Group’s Hari Nair (Rajiv Naiyer)
Those named co-conspirators in the second formal charges filed April 25 with their lawyers in parenthesis:
* Kanimozhi (Ram Jethmalani)
* Kalaignar TV’s Sharad Kumar (Altaf Ahmed)
* Cineyug Films’ Karim Morani (Sidharath Luthra)
* Kusegaon Realty’s Asif Balwa (Vijay Aggarwal)
* Kusegaon Realty’s Rajiv B. Agarwal (Vijay Aggarwal)