Hitting out strongly at Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India for his 2G report, which had estimated loss of nearly 1.76 lakh crore, Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal today said the government’s stand on 2G auctions had been vindicated and alleged scam was myth.
Just two days after nearly half the airwaves put on the auction block among telecom players went unsold, Sibal pinned the blame on CAG for having sensationalized the multicrore 2G scam which resulted in poor auctioning.
Sibal asserted that the policy should be best left to the government. He announced that the Government will have another auction of telecom spectrum before March, 2013.
CAG should explain its 2G loss figure: V Narayanasamy
Keeping up the government’s attack on the CAG, Union Minister V Narayanasamy on Friday said the top auditor owed an explanation on its estimated loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore in 2G spectrum allocation in the previous auction.
“We have said that the calculation of CAG was wrong. Now it has been proved with the auction. The CAG should explain (it),” the Minister of State in PMO told reporters at the Chennai airport.
Narayanasamy joined other Congress leaders in questioning the Comptroller and Auditor General for the estimated loss, in the wake of the current auction which yielded a mere Rs 9,407 crore, barely a fourth of the amount that was expected.
I&B Minister Manish Tiwari had yesterday hit out at the CAG saying, “Mr CAG where is the Rs 1.76 lakh crore?? It is time for some serious introspection.
Its time the CAG introspects on his processes and it is high time that the BJP and some of the other opposition parties, which had made this their holy grail and swan song of politics over the last two years, should publicly apologise.”
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh too had suggested that the “CAG should reconsider how far its estimate was right with regard to the report which it had earlier given and the losses it had computed.”