Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
‘Operation Demolition’ rolls on

Two JCB excavators of the DMC demolishing ‘illegal’ buildings and structures at Eros Lane, Dimapur, on Saturday. (NP)
Staff Reporter: Dimapur, 05 Jul 2008
Published on 6 Jul. 2008 12:22 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Despite stiff opposition from various quarters, the Dimapur Municipal Council (DMC) stepped up its ‘Operation Demolition’ drive and demolished around forty “illegal” structures and building encroaching on pavements and roadsides on Saturday.
The demolitions were carried out in and around Murggi Patti, Naga Bazaar, Bata Charali junction and Elora Lane.
Later, briefing mediapersons DMC chairperson Khekaho Assumi and members Nungsang Jamir, G. Kits and Yanger Toshi said the chief minister had applauded the ongoing demolition drive and responded to the SOS of the DMC by sending two JCB excavators.
On criticisms emanating from various quarters with regard to the demolition drive, the DMC members disclosed some section had even threatened to take DMC to the court.
However, the DMC members said they were undeterred by such opposition and said the drive would resume full swing on Monday.
The DMC also appealed to owners of buildings and shops affected by the demolition to bear in mind that the ongoing drive was only for the betterment of Dimapur and its citizens as a whole.
DMC member Yanger Toshi said, “as far as the DMC is concerned, our job is to keep the city clean but in the process we have even cleared up those structures that had been a hindrance. Now it is the duty of the PWD to take up the construction of roads, drainage etc.”    

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News