Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Mokokchung public firm on boycotting MMC polls

Volunteers, council chairmen and landowners of four villages of Mokokchung town in front of the DC office, Mokokchung, Monday. (NP)
Correspondent MOKOKCHUNG, SEPT 15:
:
Published on 16 Sep. 2008 12:56 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

As dates for filing of nomination papers for election to the forthcoming Mokokchung Municipal Council (MMC) commenced Monday, an uneasy calm prevailed here at DC Office compound with hundreds of volunteers drawn from all the 16 wards of the town and landowners of the four villages standing guard against any person from filing nomination. However, there was no report of any untoward incident and the overall situation was peaceful as no intending candidate dared to file nomination. The general public of sixteen wards and four landowner villages of Mokokchung town had in a joint meeting on September 13, resolved to boycott the MMC election due to failure of the State government to revoke the implementation of the 33% reservation of seats for women in the MMC election. The meeting also resolved to banish from Mokokchung town any person filing nomination papers. When contacted, DC Mokokchung told this correspondent that there was a government standing order on MMC election and that he had to abide by it. When asked whether there was any security arrangement for intending candidates to file their nominations because of the opposition, the DC said no such arrangements had been made. On alterative arrangements in the event of election not being conducted, the DC replied “let the state government. Decide.” Meanwhile, members of all wards and the four villages cautioned that the resolution to boycott the municipal election should not be taken lightly. Clarifying that their opposition was not directed against women folk or the government, the members however said reservation of seats for women was “irrelevant,” particularly to the Aos. The members also took exception to the recent statements of Congress MLAs Nillo Rengma and SI Jamir supporting women’s reservation and requested the remaining legislators not to get “confused” over the issue. “Mokokchung town should not be used as a testing ground for women reservation,” they added. Meanwhile, it was also learnt that five out of the seven Advisory Board Members of the present adhoc MMC had tendered their resignations. The September 13 joint meeting had asked all MMC Adhoc members to resign by Monday.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News
  • 1
  • 2