Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
New office of DG Prisons inaugurated

R. Haralu. DIG. Prisons O. Alem, IPS DG Prisons HG seen in lens at the inaugural of the New prison directorate building of DG prison. (NP)
Correspondent KOHIMA:
Published on 1 Oct. 2008 1:14 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The New prison directorate building of Director General of Prisons (DG prison), constructed at a cost of Rs.4.20 crore was formally inaugurated on Tuesday by Er. Wochumo Kithan, parliamentary secretary, prison, home guards, fire and emergency services. In his address, the chief guest said that the word prison and jail has different meaning whereby, prison is a place of confinement for awaiting judgment and pronouncement of penalty, while jail is for the convicted offender to serve penalty passed by the judges. He said in a Christian state like Nagaland, where predominantly Christianity prevails, no room for confinements, courts or the need of widespread police, paramilitary and military presence should be required. He however expressed regret that somehow, "along the way of our development, we have failed to inculcate discipline, tolerance and sacrifice for the next person coming after." Er. Kithan said that "prisons will continue to exist in human society till God's sovereignty comes to us" and called upon the citizens to remember the inmates not only through distribution of sweets and feeds during occasions but also in their daily prayers. He further said there are hardly 10% convicted inmates and the rest 90% were prisoners, also termed as Under Trail Prisoners (UTPs). He also said that in the state there are 400 inmates which is 0.02 % of the total population, adding rightly or wrongly these people are detained in enclosures. "Their detention or confinement makes people believe that they are safe from their wrongdoings. Thus, for our feelings of secured society they are prisoners!" he said. Giving a brief description of the department by R Haralu, Deputy Inspector General of Prisons claimed that the Prison department is supposed to be one of the oldest government established in early 1950's during the British rule and later the existing Kohima district jail establish with a capacity of keeping 60 inmates. The DIG prisons said that it is a small department, however a very sensitive department and regretted that successive government in the past has failed to give importance and priority, which also to frequent jail break and escape of prisoners in the past due to lack of proper security facilities. He also said that the Prison Directorate was functioning in a dilapidated building for the last 36 years and expressed happiness of having the new directorate building which was constructed at a cost of Rs.4.2 crore. The function was attended by CAWD EE Er. Vekho Swuro, DGP Nagaland J. Changkika, senior police officials, retired DG Prisons .Earlier the function was chaired by C. Lwngnyei R.O(Plg), special number was presented by Shiirhosielie Angami and vote of thanks by given by O. Alem IPS, Director General of Prisons and HG.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News