Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Arrested Manipur ‘militants’ released
Published on 11 Nov. 2008 1:49 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Forty-eight hours after putting seven youths from Manipur - said to be members of the People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (Prepak) - behind bars at the Lalbazar central lockup here, police released all of them today, reports Telegraph. The decision to release the youths was taken after police officials from Manipur arrived here yesterday and gave a clean chit to the seven young men, saying in writing that there were no cases pending against them. According to police sources, the team from Manipur interrogated the seven youths throughout the day. After the clean chit, the police forwarded them to the Bankshal court, where the suspected militants were released. “On Friday, the seven youths were arrested on the basis of a military intelligence tip-off from an auction house on Lenin Sarani here. We contacted our counterparts in Manipur and a team of officials rushed here. They examined them thoroughly and gave us in writing that none of them was wanted in any case,” said special inspector-general of Special Task Force (STF) Rajeev Kumar. The army spokesperson at Fort William refused to comment on the arrest. “We don’t have all the information about the release,” he said. The seven youths had gone to attend an auction of used cars of the Border Roads Organisation. The STF personnel were tipped off that that since the vehicles were from the Northeast and most of the bidders were from that region, members of Prepak would be there to extort money from the buyers. Though the STF officials could not find any evidence against the youths, they detained them and informed Manipur police. “We sent the photographs and other details of the seven youths within a couple of hours of bringing them to Lalbazar police headquarters,” said an STF official. According to him, Manipur police wanted to interrogate the youths and left for Calcutta after confirming that three of the arrested seven, identified as T. Kantha Singh, Abiyoma Singh and Chittaranjan Singh, had been arrested earlier and released on bail. The three youths were staying at Madhyamgram in the North 24-Parganas for the past month. The names of the other four, who had arrived in Calcutta a week ago and were staying in lodges around Chowringhee, were not mentioned in the police record books. “Since the Manipur police were yet to reach the city, we had no option but to arrest the seven youth. Our hands were tied because the Indian Penal Code does not allow us to detain a person,” explained the officer.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News