Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Manipur scribes resume work
Published on 3 Dec. 2008 2:00 AM IST
Print  Text Size

After twelve days of stir over the killing of one of its member, Manipur scribes Tuesday resumed work following the Manipur Cabinet’s decision to hand over the case to the CBI. Scribes in Manipur have decided to suspend the stir following the decision and newspapers would hit the stands tomorrow, a UNI report said. The journalists of the state, under the aegis of the All Manipur Working Journalists’ Union (AMWJU) had been on stir since November 19 after Konsam Rishikanta (23), junior Sub-Editor of an English daily was shot dead by unknown persons on November 17 at Langol, Imphal West. The matter was discussed in a general body meeting yesterday and a preliminary report was placed before the members. The meeting also decided to continue the investigation to find out who were involved in the killing. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had intervened and spoken to Manipur chief minister, O Ibobi Singh after which the state government took up the case. The AMWJU had submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister, Press Council of India, various media organisations, governor, Gurbhachan Jagat, chief minister, O Ibobi Singh and others. The AMWJU has also demanded compensation to the bereaved family as per the Centre’s scheme for victims of terrorist violence. The AMWJU urged to instill a sense of security in the minds of mediapersons and take necessary measures for protection of working journalists in the state. General secretary, Threaten Indigenous People Society, W Ananda said the government should take seriously when scribes choose to cease work and should not delay in bringing an amicable solution.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News