Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Family says son killed in ‘fake encounter’
Correspondent IMPHAL, Jan 6:
Published on 7 Jan. 2009 2:17 AM IST
Print  Text Size

"He was killed after being badly tortured by security forces in fake encounter," cried a young lady whose missing younger brother was found lying dead at the mortuary of the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, (RIMS) Imphal. The dead body of 20-year old Khangenbam Priyokumar son of late Ibocha of Wanjing village, Thoubal district has been lying unclaimed since the last two days after the police deposited it with another body after they were gunned down by the police commandos in a joint operation with the troops of Maratha Light Infantry on the night of December 4 in what police claimed "killed in encounter". On the day, police while stating that they are suspected militants, also claimed recovery of small arms with ammunitions from the possession of the two slain youths.The family came to know about the death of their son on Tuesday when the story of claiming the dead body of Sorokkhaibam Nehru (48) who was killed together with Priyokumar appeared in the local newspapers. Various bruise marks were present all over the body when they went to the morgue to confirm the dead body, said the uncle of the Priyokumar Sharatchandra who along with locals of Wangjing turned up at Imphal to lodge complain to the chief minister with a memorandum to punish the security force personnel involved in the murder. Priyokumar had gone out from home in the morning of December 4 to meet Nehru (killed together) in connection relating to a government contract work. Both the slain men were small time government contractors as claimed by their families. Priyokumar was survived by his wife Pushpa and his two and half year old child and doing contract work as part time job, the uncle added. "Priyokumar was not a militant and not killed in actual encounter. He was killed in fake encounter with his colleague Nehruon their way to work," Sunibala, the elder brother said."Bruise marks all over his body indicated that my brother was tortured before shooting to death," he added. He was told by the locals of Ishok village that her brother with another man was transported by the security force and after being badly tortured, was shot to death. A group of people from Wangjing village turned up at the CM's bungalow Tuesday afternoon but could not meet the CM O Ibobi as he was out of station. In similar manner families of all the men killed by the security forces since the beginning of this year had been alleging that their sons were killed in fake encounters. As many as seven people have been killed in the last five days in Manipur. In 2008 itself a total of 492 people were killed in militancy-related fatalities in Manipur which is the highest in the pass eight years since 2000.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News