Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Patient survives Guillain Barre- Syndrome
Correspondent KOHIMA, JAN 28 (NPN):
Published on 29 Jan. 2009 1:25 AM IST
Print  Text Size

In a rare case, a patient suffering from a fatal ailment called “Guillain Barre- Syndrome” (Auto immune disorder), survived and is currently recuperating at the Naga Hospital Kohima. The patient Mhakhu Rhesü, 50 year-old would soon be discharged from the hospital. Few Guillain Barre patients had earlier succumbed to the disease and Rhesü’s recovery was seen as a rare case. Nagaland Post Correspondents were given access and privilege to interact with the Doctors and the patient at Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Critical Care Department (CCD), Naga Hospital Kohima (NHK) on Tuesday and Wednesday. A doctor in the ICU said Guillain Barre- Syndrome (Auto immune disorder) was caused by a viral infection, mostly involving the throat, the signs and symptoms of which include common fever, sore throat etc. He said that within 24 to 48 hours of contracting the disease, the patient’s leg becomes weak, the function of the nerves get affected in upward direction starting with leg and involves the motor and sensory function till it involves the respiratory muscles. “It is an ascending paralysis” he said and revealed that many could have died of the disease and also many might be suffering unknowingly. On the recovery of the patient, Dr. Sentimeren Aonok, Senior Grade Specialist, ICU, CCD, NHK said the patient was admitted to the hospital at the right time. “Not only has he survived but he is back to normal and is ready to go home”, Dr. Aonok said. He said diseases such as the Guillain Barre, which required high tech facilities for treatment could now be treated in Nagaland and added “we are as good as others”. The patient Makhu Rhesii, a carpentry instructor at GMS Thenizumi Village under Phek district said that in May 2008, he had felt a pain in his legs which later attacked his upper body part completely paralyzing him. “I went to various clinics and doctors examined me, but it did not yield any positive result” said the father of eight children. When he came to NHK in October, 2008 the doctors advised him to stay and was admitted in General ward. After spending five days in the general ward he was shifted to ICU as his condition deteriorated. Recalling his four-month ordeal, Rhesu said “when I was admitted in ICU, I could not even swallow or talk clearly and remained unconscious for week”. He was seen moving his fingers and legs slowly. Rhesii lauded the doctors and nurses for their tireless effort in saving his life. “We thought he would not survive long, but it was a miracle that he has survived now” said Veduthilii wife of Makhu, who was sitting beside him. Doctors attending Rhesii said his survival was a rare case. They are now contemplating to discharge him.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2