Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Story of a ‘serial rapist, killer’
Published on 26 Apr. 2009 12:18 AM IST
Print  Text Size

A week after 5-yr-old Gaipuilu Gangmei was raped and murdered in Mahipalpur, New Delhi, neighbours said the accused Manoj Thapa always looked scary; his father said he should never have been released after he committed first rape as a teen. According to Express India report, in the adjacent building, Sher Bahadur Thapa, father of Manoj Thapa, the alleged rapist, prepared to move again to a place where no one knew that his son had raped someone. “This is not the first time Thapa is fleeing, I lived in a servants’ quarters at Moti Bagh earlier and had to move out after my son did the same (rape a girl) there as well. I couldn’t face the people there — they wanted to kill me.” None of Thapas’ neighbours in Mahipalpur knew Manoj, 21, had a criminal history: he had been charged with rape once, had an attempt-to-murder case registered against him, as well as counts of thefts. On October 27, 2004, when the Thapas lived in Moti Bagh, Manoj, then 16, allegedly raped a deaf and dumb girl in the wooded area in RK Puram behind Anant Ram Dairy. The girl lived in a slum tenement there. Manoj was arrested and put in a juvenile home for three years. “It appears from his statement that he was beginning to show symptoms of a psychopath and a sexual pervert,” then deputy commissioner of police (Southwest) D Pathak had said. Thapa had already shifted from Moti Bagh to Mahipalpur when Manoj was released — the 19-year-old moved in with the family. “He did no work and spent most of the time in the room, on the terrace or roaming the streets,” neighbours said. Thapa is a security guard; his wife Nirmala worked as a household help in Gurgaon. Neighbours said even before Gaipuilu’s murder, Manoj’s behaviour and “strange way of staring” at people was scary. “At times, he would look at you and would make you feel that he will come and just smash your head,” a neighbour in the same building said. Now, neighbours who seldom spoke with each other were sharing individual experiences they had with Manoj. But they still stop short of talking about the rape and murder. On April 17, Manoj took Gaipuilu Gangmei, 5, to the terrace where he allegedly raped her, then killed her and finally dumped the body in an empty water tank on the roof. “He came down and asked me for money to visit his sister’s house,” his father said. “I gave him Rs. 30 but I had no idea what he had done.” The neighbours then found the five-year-old’s body in the water tank. Manoj was absconding for five days before he was arrested near Sardar Patel railway station in Chanakyapuri. Born in 1988 in Burdwan, West Bengal, Manoj came to the Capital with his parents when he was five. Having dropped out of school in Class VI, he began working at a cloth factory in Noida, where he received burn injuries in a fire incident in the factory. The police have already registered a murder case against him and after the postmortem report confirmed rape, charges under IPC Sections 376/377 (rape) have also been added. He has been produced before the court and sent to judicial custody. Gaipuilu’s mother worked as a nurse at the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre in Delhi and her husband ran a small business. Thapa, Manoj’s father, said his son should not have been released after the first rape. “Now, he should be hanged or punished with life imprisonment,” he said. “How can someone do this to a child? He should never be free again.”

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News