Parliamentary Secretary for Relief and Rehabilitation, S. Heno along with ADC, Dimapur, Sedevikho & EAC, Chumukedima, Henok Buchem on Sunday provided relief to the family members of Saturday night’s Chumukedima fire incident.
In the incident, a woman reportedly two months into pregnancy and her nine year old daughter were charred to dead. According to a police report, the victims Yentsalumi Kithan (31), and her minor daughter, Abiele (9), were sleeping when the incident took place in one of their rooms.
Police ascertained that the fire to have ignited from a ‘candle’ that was kept lighted when the victims went to sleep, however, the exact cause of the incident could not be concluded till filling of this report.
Talking to this reporter, the land owner, Mathung, said that he came to know about the bodies which were charred beyond recognition and also lamented that the fire tenders reached only after the fire was doused off by the public which was assisted by Dimapur police
On his visit to the site, the Parliamentary Secretary donated a sum of rupees 30,000 to family members of the victims and 10,000 rupees to their neighbour Akhato Kabo (1st NAP) who also lost his belongings in the incident as immediate cash relief. Meanwhile, the Chumukedima Town Council also donated 5000 rupees to the fire victims.