Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
7/11: City moves on, but trial is stuck
Published on 11 Jul. 2009 11:07 PM IST
Print  Text Size

The trial of the accused in connection with the July 11 serial blasts in the city’s local trains, is stuck even after three years of the devastating explosions which left 187 dead and more than 800 injured. Though the megalopolis, known for its indomitable spirit, moved on, the trial of those accused of planting bombs on the crowded trains is still waiting for the Supreme Court’s verdict on its legality. “The Supreme Court reserved the judgement on the petition challenging legality of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) -- which was invoked against blast accused -- in December. We expect verdict this month,” said advocate Shahid Azmi, who represented some of the accused. Special Public Prosecutor Raja Thakare said that unless apex court decides the case, trial can not move on, reported ZeeNews on its website, Saturday. “It is an important trial. We are all awaiting Supreme Court’s ruling,” Thakare said. Anti-Terrorist Squad of Maharashtra filed first chargesheet in the case on November 30, 2006 and a supplementary one on April 9 in 2007, accusing 13 persons in all, under various sections of Indian Penal Code and MCOCA. Special MCOCA Court framed the charges on August 7, 2007. But some of the accused challenged legality of a provision in MCOCA, under which “promoting insurgency” is considered to be an organised crime. 3 years after 7/11, victims still in coma Three years after a series of blasts ripped through first class compartments of local trains, two victims are still in a state of coma at a city hospitals while few others have since then undergone multiple surgeries and are trying to overcome the trauma. While Mumbaikars mourn the tragedy on the third anniversary of the blasts today, victims, Parag Sawant and Amit Singh are still struggling for their lives in Hinduja and Jaslok hospitals respectively. Victim Allywyn D’cunha and few others have not yet fully recovered from the injuries sustained in the blasts and have undergone surgeries a couple of times. In a voice chocked with emotion, Sawant’s wife, Preeti, said, “I can never forget the damage caused by the blasts to my family. My husband has suffered a brain haemorrhage in the incident and went into Coma.” Sawant, a marketing assistant in a construction company, suffered serious injuries in the blast. Preeti was later offered a job by Railway authorities. On July 11, 2006, the seven blasts in first class coaches in suburban trains, killed 188 and injured over 800 commuters.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News