Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Violence mars 2nd day of ENSF session
Correspondent MON:
Published on 23 Jul. 2009 1:23 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The second day of Eastern Naga Students Federation (ENSF) 2nd general conference was marred by violence as irate volunteers of Konyak Students’ Union ransacked and set the offices of executive engineer and SDO (Electrical) on fire due to non-supply of power since the commencement of the conference on July 20. Scores of KSU volunteers marched to SDO (E) office, opposite KSU office building, around 12:30 pm and ransacked the office and damaged walls, windowpanes, furniture and hurled files on the roadside. However, the timely intervention of parliamentary secretary for Sports & Youth Resources, Naiba Konyak who was the chief guest in the Games and Sports session of the conference, prevented the volunteers from creating further damage. It may be noted that the volunteers had further marched to EE office adjacent to SDO (E) office around 2 pm and started damaging the office building, throwing files and furniture outside. Some of the volunteers were seen carrying kerosene cans to burn all files and furniture thrown on the roadside. A couple of rooms and files of the EE office and SDO office were partially burnt in the arson. KSU officials told media persons that they were forced to take the extreme step of registering their resentment as the government and department in charge had failed to heed their genuine grievances. They also informed that earlier in the day, they had given a deadline to DC Mon to assure restoration of power by 12 noon, and on expiry of the deadline, the KSU resorted to rampaging through the offices. KSU official told this correspondent that on July 14, the KSU had a meeting with all heads of departments in the office chamber of DC Mon where the issue of uninterrupted supply of power during the ENSF conference was also discussed. “But just before the conference began on July 20 evening, till Wednesday afternoon, there is total blackout in entire Mon district. We suspect foul play as there was power supply even on morning July 20,” he said. An ENSF official who was also present at the site said, “There is definitely something fishy or else why should power be disrupted when six tribes have come together.” When contacted, DC Mon Dinesh Kumar, admitted that he had received the KSU ultimatum. “Right after I received it (ultimatum), I contacted chief engineer (Power) and DC Mokokchung on the issue and requested for immediate and necessary action,” he said, and added, “according to the power department, power is likely to be restored this evening.” Kumar also said he was informed that the blackout in Mon was due to some technical snags on the transmission lines at Anaki under Mokokchung district, between Tuli and Naginimora. DC further informed that he had intimated to KSU about the steps being taken by the department. The DC meet with KSU official and assured to restore the power by Wednesday evening, however till late evening no power was supplied. Meanwhile, a press release issued by information and organization publicity secretary, KSU Elang Konyak stated that meeting of all heads of department including DC and EE was held at DC chamber regarding power supply during the ENSF general conference. The volatile situation was witnessed by SDO (Civil) Mon Sadar, EAC (Sadar) EE (power) Mon division, OC and staff of electrical department, the release added. The press release further stated that Executive Engineer escaped unhurt from the scene with the help of the police.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2