Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
HM admits failures against Maoists
NEW DELHI/RAIPUR, JUL 15 (IANS):
:
Published on 16 Jul. 2009 1:04 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

The central and state governments have been tardy in tackling the Maoists, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said Wednesday, three days after 29 policemen were killed in Chhattisgarh. "Regrettably, we did not challenge the threat of Leftwing extremism adequately. Today, this poses a grave challenge," the minister said in the Rajya Sabha during question hour. Chidambaram added: "We are preparing to take on this challenge but the details cannot be disclosed." He said he had visited the Maoist-affected states. The government planned to hold a meeting in August to discuss a roadmap to take on the Maoists. "We now have a military advisor to help us draw up our plans." Chidambaram's comments came after Maoist guerrillas gunned down 29 policemen Sunday in Chhattiagarh's Rajnandgaon district in one of the most horrific massacres blamed on the rebels. Thousands have been killed in violence linked to the Maoist insurgency in India that began in 1967 and shows no signs of ending. Chidambaram underlined that he did not favour non-state players taking on the Maoists. This work was best left to authorities of the areas where the cancer existed. The comments were clearly aimed at the Chhattisgarh government whose state-funded, anti-Maoist Salwa Judum militia has been widely criticized for rights violations. "I am not in favour of non-state elements taking on the Naxalites (Maoists). We want the state to take them on," Chidambaram said. Replying to a supplementary, the minister said: "I was asked a specific question about Salwa Judum and I have given a specific reply. I am not in favour of any non-state players taking on extremism. "The (Chhattisgarh) chief minister (Raman Singh) now more or less accepts my line," Chidambaram added. Chhattisgarh is one of half a dozen states where Maoist guerrillas are most active and control vast areas where the writ of the state doesn't run and where security forces repeatedly get ambushed. Noting that the issue "essentially has to be answered by the states as this is linked to the lack of development", he said the "most recent manifestation of this" was in Lalgarh in West Bengal where Maoists had declared a "liberated area" till a major offensive was mounted against them. "The issue has to be tackled two-fold. First, there is police action to re-establish the writ of the state followed by developmental activities," Chidambaram said. Policemen refuse jungle warfare training Twenty-nine policemen have been suspended in Chhattisgarh for refusing jungle warfare training, just days after Maoists massacred 29 of their colleagues, an official said Wednesday. The suspended policemen - all constables - were posted in Janjgir-Champa district and had been ordered to go for training at the Counter Terrorism and Jungle Warfare College (CTJWC) in Kanker district. "All the 29 men were reluctant to go for the 15-day orientation course at CTJWC before being deployed for four-month-long postings in areas affected by Maoist insurgency. I had no option but to suspend them," Jangir-Champa District Superintendent of Police S.K. Jha told IANS on telephone. On Sunday, 29 policemen were killed in three separate Maoist attacks in Rajnandgaon district. Those killed included Rajnandgaon Superintendent of Police Vinod Kumar Choubey. The government had set up CTJWC in 2005 and appointed counter-terrorism expert Brig (retired) B.K. Ponwar as its director to train policemen to "fight a guerrilla like a guerrilla". Nearly 1,500 people have been killed in Maoist violence since the state was carved out of Madhya Pradesh in November 2000.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News