Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Webb leaves Myanmar with US native
Yangon, Aug 16 (Agencies):
Published on 16 Aug. 2009 11:47 PM IST
Print  Text Size

A US Senator met Myanmar’s top general and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, while arranging the release of an American prisoner on a weekend mission that offered a rare opening for better ties with the isolated nation. Democratic Senator Jim Webb told reporters at the airport in Yangon on Sunday he was leaving Myanmar with John Yettaw, whose swim to Suu Kyi’s home in May led to her renewed detention. He met Myanmar’s junta leader, Than Shwe, at the remote new capital of Naypyidaw on Saturday and then flew to Yangon to meet with Suu Kyi at a guesthouse immediately afterward. Webb said he also asked for Suu Kyi to be released. Asked about the junta’s response, he replied, “I’m hopeful about this.” Yettaw did not attend the news conference. A police officer said he had been taken from prison to the airport, where he joined the Senator’s party. Their plane left Yangon for Bangkok at around 1:30 pm (3 am EDT). Webb was allowed by the military authorities to speak with Suu Kyi for about 45 minutes at a guesthouse in Yangon, after earlier meeting members of her National League for Democracy (NLD) and other political parties who had been invited to Naypyidaw by the government. “He wanted to know the opinions of political parties about the present situation,” 88-year-old NLD senior leader Than Tun, who was present at the meeting, said on Sunday. “We think his visit will be somewhat conducive to working for national reconciliation in our country.” Other observers remained bitter at the treatment of Suu Kyi. “The most tangible outcome of his visit is the release of John Yettaw, who caused the mess,” said Thakhin Chan Tun, a former ambassador to North Korea. “However, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, who is completely innocent in this incident, is still under house arrest.” Myanmar’s military authorities said Yettaw’s two-day stay in Suu Kyi’s home breached the terms of her house arrest, which led to her trial. She was sentenced last week to another 18 months under house arrest, enough to keep her out of campaigning for elections due next year. Some critics say this was the junta’s intention, and that Yettaw’s escapade provided the excuse for the new trial. Yettaw himself was sentenced to seven years’ hard labour in a parallel trial on three charges, including immigration offences and “swimming in a non-swimming area.” His health is fragile and he spent several days in hospital this month.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2