Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
LeT hawala racket busted in Kashmir
Srinagar, Oct 8 (IANS):
Published on 8 Oct. 2009 10:32 PM IST
Print  Text Size

A money laundering (hawala) racket run to fund the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) seperatist group was busted in Jammu and Kashmir, a police official said Thursday. On a tip-off, police arrested a trader from the uptown Hyderpora locality of Srinagar a few days back, the official said. “During interrogation, the trader revealed that he and his accomplices in Jammu and Amritsar (in Punjab) have been running a hawala racket to fund LeT cadres,” the officer told IANS here. On the revelations made by the trader, police have also arrested a trader in Jammu and another in Amritsar, he said. “The arrested traders had been taking a 40 percent cut for running and supporting the racket and passing on the other 60 percent to LeT militant group,” the officer said. According to police, traders would receive pulses and other goods from Pakistan-administered Kashmir through the Line of Control (LOC) and sell the received merchandize here without sending any goods in return. The trade along the LoC is on a barter basis.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2