Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Cyclone Phyan: 68 fishermen still missing
Published on 13 Nov. 2009 10:16 PM IST
Print  Text Size

As many as 68 fishermen were still missing after being trapped in Cyclone Phyan which passed through the Arabian Sea earlier this weekback, Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said here Friday. “The 68 fishermen were on board four fishing trawlers and one canoe, which were caught in Phyan. The government will give Rs.1 lakh as compensation to the next of kin of those deceased or still missing,” Kamat said. He said there were confirmed reports of two fishing trawlers having sunk. Kamat’s statement is the first formal announcement by the state administration after Cyclone Phyan crossed the Arabian Sea off the Goa coast Tuesday and Wednesday. “I have also asked the fisheries department to prepare a report on the loss of lives and the damages caused to the trawler owners, who have lost their nets and damaged their boats as a result of the cyclone,” Kamat said, adding that the state government was in constant touch with the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) who are expected to call off their search and rescue operation later Friday. Kamat said the exact number of people missing will be compiled by the fisheries department Friday. More than two dozens fishing vessels registered in Goa were blown northwards towards the Maharashtra coast by Cyclone Phyan.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News