Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Qaeda claims US jet plot
Washington, Dec 29 (Agencies):
Published on 29 Dec. 2009 11:16 PM IST
Print  Text Size

A regional wing of al Qaeda said it was behind the failed Christmas Day bombing of a U.S. passenger plane, which was meant to avenge U.S. attacks on the group in Yemen, according to a web statement posted on Monday. The group told Americans to expect more attacks, after the failed bomb plot turned the spotlight on the poor Arab country. The United States and Yemen's neighbour Saudi Arabia fear al Qaeda will use instability in the country to carry out attacks in the world's main oil exporting region and beyond. Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) said in the statement posted on Islamist websites that it had provided the Nigerian suspect with a "technically advanced device" but that it had failed to detonate because of a technical fault. The group said the attack was in retaliation for recent raids on its militants that it said had been carried out by U.S. jets and had caused many civilian deaths. "We tell the American people that since you support the leaders who kill our women and children ... we have come to slaughter you (and) will strike you with no previous (warning), our vengeance is near," the statement said. The Yemeni government says it carried out military raids on Dec. 17, in which more than 30 al Qaeda members were killed, and another on Dec.24. Opposition groups said about 50 civilians were killed, including women and children. The New York Times has said Washington gave hardware, intelligence and other support to Yemeni forces for the raids. "We call on all Muslims ... to throw out all unbelievers from the Arabian Peninsula by killing crusaders who work in embassies or elsewhere ... (in) a total war on all crusaders in the Peninsula of (Prophet) Mohammad," the statement said. Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is charged with trying to blow up a Delta Airlines plane as it approached Detroit on a flight from Amsterdam with almost 300 people on board. Besides al Qaeda, Yemen is also grappling with a Shi'ite revolt in the north and a separatist movement in the south with both complaining of social and economic discrimination, something the government denies. On Monday, a spokesman for the northern rebels rejected as "fictitious" reports that rebel leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi had been killed in the fighting, Al Jazeera TV's website said. Yemen's national security chief Ali Mohammad Al-Ansi told a state-run website that 29 al Qaeda members had been arrested. "There will be more operations awaiting terrorist elements and their nests," the Defence Ministry website quoted an unidentified security official as saying. More bombers to target US: Nigerian WASHINGTON, DEC 29 (PTI): More bombers are on their way to target America, the Nigerian al Qaida suspect charged for trying to blow up a US airliner has told FBI, setting alarm bells among intelligence and security apparatus here. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab told FBI that "there were more just like him in Yemen and would strike soon," the ABC News reported quoting officials familiar with the investigation. A tape released by al Qaida leaders in Yemen some four days before the failed attempt to blow up the US plane, had said that "we are carrying bomb to hit the enemies of God". Abdulmutallab, 23, has been charged with attempting to blow up the US plane and planting an explosive device on it. He was arrested soon after his failed bid to ignite explosives inside the Amsterdam-Detroit Northwest Airlines flight 253 on Christmas Day with nearly 300 people on board. The explosive was identified as PETN -- pentaerythritol tetranitrate - which was concealed in his underwear. According to news reports, Abdulmutallab has told FBI that he was trained for more than a month in Yemen, given 80 grams of a high explosive cleverly sewn into his underpants, that went undetected by standard security screening. "They know that this is a weakness and an Achilles' heel in our airport security system," said ABC News consultant and former counterterrorism czar Richard Clarke. Federal authorities met on Tuesday to reassess the system of terror watchlists to determine how to avoid the lapse that allowed a man with explosives to board flight even though he was flagged as a possible terrorist, CBS news said.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News