Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Face up to Maoist threat, Chidambaram tells Jharkhand
NEW DELHI, JAN 19 (IANS):
:
Published on 19 Jan. 2010 11:55 PM IST
Print  Text Size
 

Condemning the the landmine explosion triggered by Maoist rebels in Jharkhand last week, central home minister P. Chidambaram Tuesday said Chief Minister Shibu Soren would need to send clear instructions to the state police and the administration to brace for the challenge. Seven police personnel and a civilian were killed and two others injured in the explosion triggered by Maoists at Gurdari bauxite mines in Gumla district last Friday. “In a loud and clear signal to the new government in Jharkhand, the CPI-Maoist have committed their first major act of depredation (this year) by triggering a landmine blast in which seven personnel of security forces and one civilian were killed. The Maoists also looted nine weapons belonging to the security forces,” Chidambaram said in a statement. “There was no provocation for this act of mindless violence. A team belonging to the Bishnupur police picket was returning from a routine patrol in the mining area. The team was not engaged in any search operation; nor did the team open fire on any one. Yet, the team became the target of attack and eight precious lives were lost.” Chidambaram said the area where the attack happened was well known for illegal mining of bauxite. “The Naxalites (Maoists) collect levies from the illegal miners. The Naxals resorted to this attack only to scare the police away from the area in which they operate and collect illegal levies. “I sincerely hope that the new government in Jharkhand will quickly settle down and give clear directions to the state police and the state administration to resolutely face the challenge of Naxalism,” he said.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News