Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
ArcelorMittal donates $100,000 to Haiti
Toronto, Jan 20 (IANS):
:
Published on 21 Jan. 2010 12:12 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

The ArcelorMittal Global Foundation, set up by the world's biggest steel company, has announced to donate $100,000 to relief work for the victims of last week's earthquake in Haiti. ArcelorMittal Montreal Inc., which is the Canadian subsidiary of the steel giant and Canada's fourth largest steel producer, said in a statement Tuesday that it will channel its donations through the Montreal-based Canadian wing of 'Doctors Without Borders'. Also known as Medecins Sans Frontires (MSF) in French, 'Doctors Without Borders' is in the frontline of rescue efforts in Haiti. "Monies will be provided to the 'Doctors without Borders' (MSF) organization which is already working on relief efforts in Haiti,'' the ArcelorMittal statement said. "ArcelorMittal's collaborative effort with 'Doctors Without Borders' will extend for a two-month timeframe, further ensuring support for both emergency relief and recovery efforts,'' the statement added. Reputed for their quick response to reach out to the victims in disaster zones of the world, 'Doctors Without Border' is endorsed and supported by the world's top celebrities. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have already announced to donate $1 million to 'Doctors Without Borders' for its rescue operations in Haiti. Meanwhile, Canada Tuesday raised its humanitarian relief for Haiti by another $80 million, taking its total assistance to $135 million. "As the international community ramps up its assistance, contributions from Canada and other countries are starting to make a difference in caring for the injured, preventing the spread of disease and providing water, food and other essentials,'' said International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda Tuesday. Ordinary Canadians have also raised millions of dollars for the quake victims. Canada, whose head of state (governor general) is Haitian-born Michaelle Jean, has so far reported loss of 12 Canadian lives in the earthquake. About 700 Canadian nationals are reportedly still missing. Doctors left Sanjay Gupta alone in Haiti clinic Washington, Jan 20 (IANS): Doctors and nurses walked away from a field clinic in Haiti last week over security concerns, leaving CNN's chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta as the only doctor left to make sure the patients, some badly wounded, made it through the night. Indian American Gupta told CNN's sister network HLN Tuesday that he was "shocked" at the incident last Friday night. As Gupta watched doctors pack up some of their supplies and walk away from the clinic he "looked at my crew and I said, 'I'm gonna stay. You decide what you want to do.' And the whole crew, we decided to stay and take care of these patients throughout the night." When asked if these doctors had left completely of their own volition, Gupta said he thought they were most likely ordered to leave: "I really don't think they wanted to go." The next day one of the doctors who came back told Gupta that he was ashamed. Gupta was considered by President Barack Obama for the post of surgeon general but withdrew his name in March last year due to family and career reasons. In 2003, Gupta was named one of People magazine's "Sexiest Men Alive" and a "pop culture icon" by USA Today. Gupta received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan and a doctorate of medicine from the University of Michigan Medical School.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News