Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
3 killed in shootout in Assam
Published on 4 Jan. 2010 12:24 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Three people, including two tribal separatists, were killed and three civilians wounded in a shootout by unidentified gunmen in Assam, officials said Sunday. A police spokesperson said heavily armed masked gunmen late Saturday attacked a group of people at village Mukuldang in Kokrajhar district, about 220 km west of Assam’s main city of Guwahati .”The gunmen entered the village and opened indiscriminate firing on a group of people in which two NDFB (National Democratic Front of Bodoland) militants belonging to the ceasefire group and a daily wage earner were killed,” a police officer said. Three other locals were injured in the attack. “We are investigating into the incident and so far we have no clue,” the officer said. The gunmen fled the area on motorcycles immediately after the attack. The NDFB pro-talk faction have accused the now disbanded Bodo Liberation Tigers (BLT) of carrying out the attack. “This is nothing but fratricidal attacks on our members by the ex-BLT,” B. Sudem, NDFB pro-talk leader, said. The ex-BLT denied the charges.A faction of the NDFB headed by Gobinda Basumatary entered into a ceasefire in 2005, while another group led by guerrilla leader Ranjan Daimary is waging a war for independence for the Bodo tribal people.Fratricidal clashes between the NDFB and the ex-BLT have claimed more than 50 lives in the past two years in western Assam. Meanwhile, NDFB has decried regular threatening, persecution, torturing and brutal killing by betrayers of ‘patriots and revolutionaries of NDFB and innocent Boro people independently or in tandem with Indian security forces’. A statement issued by NDFB Information and publicity secretary B Ohnjalu said the latest victim of the ceasefire group was Mongal Basumatary, of Gwjwnpur -8, Dekhiajuli, Sonitpur District who was killed on December 31. Ohnjalu further warned that leaders and cadres of the ceasefire group should know that “every action has its own reaction.” He said that although the leaders of the ceasefire group have been denying operating with the Indian security forces, the assault on Indian army personnel and B. Bwitha by the villagers of Borigaon, Udalguri on December 26 exposed the truth to the world. Ohnjalu welcomed the statement of B. Borosa that killing of Uday Mochahary, elder brother of M. Fwilao should be the last killing among the ‘blood brothers’. and hoped that cadres and leaders of ceasefire group ‘would completely halt the nexus with Indian security forces just to kill their own brothers’. He also clarified that no NDFB members were killed by the security forces in Sonitpur district on the 24th, 25th and 30th December and all the victims were innocent people. He alleged that two of the victims who were killed in Dekhiajuli on December 24 were picked up from the Guwahati railway station by the Indian security forces. On December 25, B. Swrangbai, who retired 10 years ago was picked up and killed by the security forces in cold blood. He further alleged that after Boroland army ambushed an Indian army patrolling party injuring three soldiers seriously on December 29 at 4pm at Lailangpara, the army picked up an innocent civilian and killed him in cold blood on December 30.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News