Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Breather for cops involved in July 23 killing
Published on 4 Jan. 2010 10:55 PM IST
Print  Text Size

: Manipur government will not take action against any policeman in connection with the July 23 firing in view of Gauhati High Court’s intervention in the matter, according to a newspaper report. The Ibobi Singh government also ruled out further talks with the Apunba Lup, which is spearheading the ongoing agitation against the incident, and the three student’s organisations, which called a class boycott campaign. “Since the matter is now in the high court, the government cannot make any move or take any action. We will have to wait for the outcome of the CBI inquiry,” government spokesperson and youth affairs and sports minister N. Biren Singh told The Telegraph. The Imphal bench of Gauhati High Court passed an order on December 23, directing the state government to order a CBI inquiry into the incident. The court ruling came after Taratombi Leima, the mother of Ch. Sanjit, a former militant killed in the July 23 firing in Imphal, filed a writ petition demanding a CBI inquiry and compensation. The ruling, passed by a division bench of Justice M.B. Singh and Justice Ashok Potsangbam, also converted the writ petition to a public interest litigation. The Manipur chief minister had announced that his government did not have any objection to handing over the case to the central agency. “We will hand over the case to the CBI as soon as the court directive comes to us,” the chief minister told reporters on December 31. Before the court ruling came, a ministerial team was desperately trying to strike a peace deal with the Apunba Lup by holding talks with its leaders. The government decision not to take any steps was conveyed to a delegation of the Apunba Lup on January 1, a government source said. Four rounds of talks were held so far. The Apunba Lup was demanding that Ibobi Singh should give up the home portfolio, transfer of the director-general of police Yumnam Joykumar Singh and senior superintendent of police, Imphal West, L. Kailun, outside the state and legal proceedings against the six police personnel suspended in connection with the firing. Barring the ongoing class boycott campaign, the agitation has died down. The Ibobi Singh government has been appealing to the schools and guardians to restore academic normality. Fearing attacks by the supporters of the class boycott campaign, guardians have not yet sent their children to schools. The private schools authorities are also apprehensive of damage to their institutions. The government spokesman said the government was making all efforts to restore academic activities. Apunba Lup has not announced any decision or reaction to the government’s decision.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News