Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Goa yet to respond to New Delhi
Panaji, Jan 13 (IANS):
Published on 13 Jan. 2010 11:41 PM IST
Print  Text Size

The Goa government, which has warned of “spectacular acts of violence” in the state, hasn’t responded to a questionnaire on the security scenario sent by New Delhi last November despite two reminders, police officials said. The questionnaire from the union home ministry was sent on Nov 10 and sought details of potential threats to the state, the measures taken to address them and the nature of assistance required from the central Government. Coastal security and concerns relating to the safety of foreign tourists in Goa are two of the major issues underlined in the questionnaire. Police sources said officials in the state home ministry had been unable to even call a meeting of concerned officials to discuss the matter. “We have received two reminders now. The questionnaire has to be responded to ahead of the chief ministers’ conference on security. The conference will be chaired by union Home Minister P. Chidambaram,” an official said. Goa has been on the terror radar ever since the 26/11 terror strikes in Mumbai in 2008. Recent disclosures by US based terror suspect David Headley have further increased the possibility of Goa featuring prominently on the global terror radar. Headley is reported to have stayed in two coastal villages of Goa, Arambol and Anjuna, which are frequented by Israeli tourists.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2