Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Pope writes letter to quell paedophile row
London, Mar 19 (CNN/Agencies)
Published on 20 Mar. 2010 1:12 AM IST
Print  Text Size

A letter written by the pope in an attempt to defuse anger in Ireland over a sex abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church was expected to be delivered Friday.
It follows revelations last year of paedophilia within the Irish Catholic Church, which rocked the institution. Scandals involving Roman Catholic priests.
Benedict XVI has produced the pastoral letter - a communication use by senior Catholic clergy to offer direction to followers or admonitions to lower orders -amid growing criticism over the church’s handling of abuse cases across Europe.
The contents of the letter, which Benedict says he hopes “will help in the process of repentance, healing and renewal” are to be made public on Saturday, according to the Vatican.
Hundreds of allegations of sexual or physical abuse of children by Catholic clergy have come to light in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands this year, following high profile inquiries into the issue in Ireland.
The pope himself has been under fire since it was revealed a priest suspected of abusing children was allowed to move into his diocese when he was an archbishop in Germany in 1980.
Catholic church authorities in the Republic of Ireland have been pushed to the brink of crisis over claims of abuse and subsequent cover-ups, with four bishops resigning and the church’s head issuing an unprecedented apology.
Cardinal Sean Brady said earlier this week that the church’s response to abuse had been “hopelessly inadequate” and admitted he was “ashamed” at his own involvement in a widely criticized pedophile priest investigation in 1975.
A government-backed report earlier found that the Archdiocese of Dublin and other Catholic Church authorities in Ireland covered up child abuse by priest from 1975 to 2004.
Child sexual abuse was widespread then, the report found. Brady’s apology and the church’s handling of the issue has so far failed to appease groups representing victims of abuse.
John Kelly, founder of Irish Survivors of Child Abuse, told CNN earlier this week he believed the Roman Catholic Church should let secular authorities deal with accusations of abuse, rather than trying to handle them itself.
Abuse scandals this year
Germany: About 300 cases of alleged abuse reported
Netherlands: Bishops order probe into more than 200 alleged cases
Switzerland: Probe finds 60 alleged victims over past 15 years, Swiss media report
Austria: Five priests suspended from same monastery.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News