Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
ANVC Ceasefire extension today
Shillong, Mar 20:
Published on 22 Mar. 2010 10:32 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The Centre will take a decision Monday on the extension of ceasefire agreement with the proscribed Meghalaya-based A’chik National Volunteers Council (ANVC) militant outfit.
Union Joint Home Secretary in-charge North East, Naveen Verma and Centre’s interlocutor with ANVC, PC Haldar will discuss the ceasefire extension with the three-member ANVC delegation led by the outfit general secretary Wanding K Marak “We will be meeting tomorrow in New Delhi and finalise the extension of ceasefire,” ANVC Spokesman, Arist D Sangma said. The outfit had already expressed its favour for the extension of ceasefire to ensure progress and development. The six-year-old tripartite ceasefire agreement was signed in July 2004 among the Centre, Meghalaya government and the ANVC will expire on March 31.
Earlier, Chief Minister DD Lapang had met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and urged upon him the need for extension of ceasfire with the ANVC.
Chidambaram said that the Centre would like to continue talks with the ANVC.
On March 16, the Centre had initiated the political dailogue with the ANVC over their demand for creation of Garoland Territorial Council, in line with that of Bodoland Territorial Council in Assam.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News