Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
ANVC not disclosing arms: M’laya DGP
Correspondent SHILLONG, MAR 4:
Published on 5 Mar. 2010 12:28 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The reluctance of the outlawed A’chik National Volunteers’ Council (ANVC) to disclose its armoury has become a cause of concern for the police, Meghalaya DGP SB Kakati said on Thursday. The tribal Garo militant outfit had entered into a tripartite ceasefire agreement with the state and central governments in July 2004. About 60 cadres of the outfit are staying at two designated camps in Samada and Chokpot, Garo Hills, as per the agreement. However, the outfit’s “Chairman” Dilash R Marak, and ‘Commander-in-Chief’ Jerome Ch Momin are believed to be still holed up in Bangladesh. “It is a matter of concern that the security agencies don’t know the exact number of weapons the outfit possesses even after six years,” Kakati said. Security agencies are concerned that some of these “undisclosed” weapons might proliferate into the hands of the ever-increasing outfits formed to extort in Garo Hills. Moreover, reports of ANVC cadres deserting the group and floating new militant groups to carry out their extortion drive in coal-rich belts of East and South Garo Hills districts has made it all the more important for security agencies to account the outfit’s weapons “The ANVC has not surrendered before the government as the DHD and KNLF did with their arms and ammunition in Assam. So it’s difficult to know how many arms are in the camps and how many outside,” Kakati said. Meanwhile, the outfit, is making a strong case that the peace process should begin as it has “not violated” the ground rules of the ceasefire agreement since 2004. Meanwhile, the Centre’s appointed peace interlocutor, PC Haldar would soon visit Meghalaya prior to the expiry of the tripartite cease-fire between the State and Central government and the banned A’chik National Volunteers’ Council (ANVC). The tripartite ceasefire agreement will expire on March 31, next. The tribal Garo militant outfit had entered into a tripartite ceasefire agreement with the state and central governments in July 2004 “Haldar is expected to be here soon to hold talks with the state government and the ANVC on the present status of cease fire agreement,” Meghalaya Director General of Police, SB Kakati said. Last year, the outfit had come down on its demand for creation a separate statehood to separate Garoland Autonomous Council (GAC) within the state of Meghalaya. Earlier, ANVC Chairman, Susime Marak had said that the ANVC leaders and cadres would join the mainstream week before the formation of the autonomous council.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News