Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Maoists warn Govt., plan more Dantewadas if operations continue
Purulia (WB), Apr 11 (PTI/AGENCIES)
Published on 12 Apr. 2010 12:38 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The CPI-Maoist today warned of more Dantewada-type attacks on security forces if the Centre carried on with the anti-Maoist offensive even as it expressed sympathy for the families of the 76 jawans killed and offered compensation.
In a letter faxed to media houses here, the banned organisation said it would carry out more attacks similar to Dantewada and asked the security forces not to take part in operations directed against it.
“Else the consequences will be bad for them,” the letter warned. The CPI-Maoist expressed sympathy for the aggrieved families of the deceased and said it was ready to compensate them.
“We also want people to come out and offer financial aid to them.”
The Maoists also asked people to support their fight and stop acting as ‘informers’ to the security forces. Demonstrating a renewed resolve to eliminate red terror, Chhattisgarh Director General of Police Viswa Ranjan said that the security forces will give a befitting reply to the Naxals for killing 76 jawans in Dantewada.
“Naxals have to pay very hard now. We would give a befitting riposte. It would be very well though out. We will surprise them,’ he said while interacting with the media on Thursday. Elaborating on the strategy to take on the Maoists, who are well entrenched in the jungles, the top cop said that the forces will continue with the operations with more alertness.
Stressing that there is no single dimension to such operations; he revealed a four-pronged strategy to tackle spread of Naxal terror. Meanwhile, a massive manhunt has been launched to nab the red rebels, including their leaders, involved in the gruesome killing for which three names -- Papa Rao, Ramana and Hidma -- have emerged as prime suspects.
Sources in the team conducting the investigations said a survey of site of the attack showed that two LMGs had been used by the Naxals -- who were mainly from Company 3 and Company 8 of the Maoists Central Committee and led by Hidma and Papa Rao.
The LMGs might have been stolen from police forces in Andhra Pradesh or Orissa, the sources said. According to investigations, the sources said name of “Hidma”, military advisor to the Jagarbandhu area committee, has also cropped up during investigations into the gory incident.
Rammohan to probe
A one-man inquiry committee appointed to probe the recent Naxalite attack in Chhattisgarh, has begun investigation and will visit the spot next week.
Former chief of BSF E N Rammohan has started collecting relevant information like the command structure, hierarchy and the decision concerning the operation, quality of training imparted to the CRPF men who were attacked by Naxalites on April six, and whether they followed the Standard Operating Procedures, sources said.
“The inquiry committee has a very tight deadline. It will submit its report on April 24,” a source said.
Rammohan will also gather evidence from family members and others, who had spoken to some of the CRPF men during the ambush, which could throw light on the actual events, after his return from Chhattisgarh, sources said.
The 69-year-old, 1965 batch Assam-Meghalaya cadre IPS officer will also examine the response of the state police and the CRPF during the ambush and post-ambush period, relief and rescue operations.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News