Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Two months on, BSF men charged for J&K teen’s murder
SRINAGAR, Apr 7 (Agencies)
Published on 7 Apr. 2010 11:39 PM IST
Print  Text Size

Two months after a teenager was gunned down by security forces trigerring massive protests, Jammu and Kashmir police on Tuesday charged BSF commandant R K Birdhi and constable Lakhvinder Kumar Singh with murder.
While the constable was arrested in February, the commandant was held in March for killing Zahid, a Srinagar teenaged boy, near Dal Lake on February 5. Birdhi is the seniormost BSF officer to be arrested in past 20 years for such an incident.
In its chargesheet filed before the court of chief judicial magistrate Mohammad Ibrahim Wani, the police charged them under Ranbir Penal Code Section 302 for murder. Police also charged them for criminal conspiracy, destruction of evidence and attempt to murder. According to TNN reports, the challan was presented before the magistrate who read the presentation and accepted it and said it will be taken up on April 8 as judicial clerks, who were on strike, would have to check the documents and annexures.
Birdi, according to constable Lakhwinder Kumar, had directed him to fire at Zahid after he had an altercation with a group of youth near Dal Lake, the chargesheet stated. The two were suspended after a departmental inquiry held them responsible for dereliction of duty and hiding information.
BSF had on February 10 admitted its troops might have been involved in the killing of 16-year-old-old Zahid Farooq. The statement of two constables was also annexed with the chargesheet which ran into several pages. Zahid’s killing had led to protests which could be brought under control only after chief minister Omar Abdullah ordered an inquiry and even took up the matter with the Prime Minister and the Union home minister.
J&K employees continue strike despite ESMA: Even though the J&K government invoked Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA), around 4.5 lakh employees continued their strike for the second day on Tuesday to mount pressure on the administration to fulfil their demands including release of pending arrears recommended by the Sixth Pay Commission. The strike paralysed work in government offices across the state, as the government as well as public sector employees stayed away from work.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2