Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Dutch boy who survived Libyan air crash ‘stable’
Tripoli, May 13 (Agencies):
Published on 14 May. 2010 12:37 AM IST
Print  Text Size

A Dutch boy who is the sole survivor of a plane crash at Tripoli airport in Libya that killed 103 people is said to be in a stable condition after surgery. He has undergone several rounds of surgery to both legs which are fractured in several places.
The boy’s full identity has not yet been officially confirmed. The flight recorders have been recovered and handed over to analysts for clues as to what brought down the Afriqiyah Airways flight on Wednesday.
Libyan state television showed the boy in a hospital bed with a bandaged head and wearing an oxygen mask, his legs in casts.
Sedig Benzala, head of the team who operated on him, told the BBC the four-hour operation went well and that the boy remained in intensive care. He has multiple fractures and concussion. The only thing he has said so far has been his name, Mr Benzala said.
Some of his relatives arrived this morning to see him at the el-Khadzra (Green) hospital and he smiled and nodded his head. “It was a very emotional moment,” Mr Benzala said.
He added it would take weeks for him to fully recover, but that depended on how his body reacted. The Dutch foreign ministry said the boy had told embassy officials his name was Ruben, he was nine-years-old and came from the southern Dutch city of Tilburg. A Dutch couple has flown out to Tripoli to verify his identity.
Dutch Foreign Minister Maxime Verhagen said the boy had muttered “Holland, Holland,” to his doctor when asked where he came from. The head of the European Parliament, Jerzy Buzek, said the boy’s survival was “truly a miracle”.
The Dutch foreign ministry also said it believed 70 Dutch nationals were killed in the crash. Afriqiyah Airways said at least 59 Dutch citizens died.
Flags across the Netherlands were flying at half mast for the victims on Wednesday. The plane - carrying 93 passengers and 11 crew - crashed on Wednesday as it arrived from Johannesburg, South Africa.
Other passengers included nationals from Libya, South Africa, Germany, Britain and France. The plane’s 11 crew, who were also killed in the crash, were all Libyan.
Among the South African victims was award-winning author Bree O’Mara, who also had Irish nationality. She was reportedly on her way to London to sign a book deal.
The Tripoli Medical Center morgue where the bodies have been taken has been cordoned off, and only the relatives of the dead are being allowed in, says the BBC’s Rana Jawad in Tripoli.
Meanwhile, police and rescue workers wearing surgical masks and gloves have been combing the wreckage of the Airbus A330 near the runway. Eyewitnesses said the plane started to break up as it came in to land in clear weather.
“It exploded on landing and totally disintegrated,” one security official told the AFP news agency.
The plane’s tailfin bearing the airline’s colourful insignia was the only sizeable piece of wreckage to be seen. The cause of the crash is not known. The Libyan Transport Minister Mohammed Ali Zidan has ruled out terrorism.
The British Foreign Office confirmed that at least one British national was on board and Irish Foreign Minister Michael Martin later confirmed that an Irish woman was among the dead.
Mr Zidan said victims also included nationals from Germany, Finland, Zimbabwe, the Philippines, South Africa and France, although he had no exact numbers.
According to Airbus, the aircraft was delivered from the production line in September 2009 and had accumulated about 1,600 flight hours in some 420 flights.
Afriqiyah Airways is a Libyan airline founded nine years ago and operates a relatively new fleet of Airbus aircraft, the BBC’s Wyre Davies in Cairo reports.
Bodies of Libyan plane crash victims found
Cairo, May 13 (IANS/AP): Libyan authorities have found the bodies of 103 passengers killed in a plane crash in Tripoli, an official said Thursday.
Afriqiyah Airways’ Airbus-A330, which arrived in Tripoli from South Africa with 93 passengers and 11 crewmembers onboard, crashed minutes before landing Wednesday.
A 10-year-old boy from the Netherlands was the sole survivor in the crash. He was discovered soon after the accident and rushed to a hospital. Doctors said his life was out of danger.
“According to data from the health and ecology ministry, 103 bodies were delivered to hospitals,” Libyan Transportation Minister Mohammed Ali Zidan told journalists.
Besides 62 Dutch tourists onboard, there were also passengers from Germany, South Africa, Finland, France, Philippines, Zimbabwe and Britain.
The cause of the accident has not been established so far.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2