Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Meghalaya refutes report
Correspondent SHILLONG, MAY 26:
:
Published on 27 May. 2010 1:06 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

Meghalaya chief minister Sangma rejected media reports from Kathmandu that stated 17 deaths and displacement of 40,000 people from the Nepali community from Meghalaya saying they were “fabricated and baseless.”
“Nobody from Kathmandu has approached the Meghalaya government for clarification. These reports are deliberately being spread with a malicious intention,” Sangma stated.
In the aftermath of the Langpih firing incident in which four local residents were killed and several injured, a 70-year-old cowherd was burnt alive together with his life stock here.
“None came forward to complain, how do I know who has left Shillong,” Sangma said reacting to the ‘quit notices’ issued to Nepali settlers in Khasi-Jaintia hills by NGOs.
He said Langpih has been a long-pending dispute, warning that none should take advantage of the issue as both the Meghalaya and Assam governments are seriously trying to resolve the issue.
Sangma instead sought the “help and cooperation of everyone” for maintenance of peace and harmony in the state.
Mukul Sangma said that Meghalaya must be taken into confidence before any inquiry is conducted by the Assam government over the May 14 Langpih police firing.
Sangma who held several meetings with NGOs and top officials said that he learnt about a reported judicial inquiry that Assam government has instituted to probe the police firing, but nothing has been communicated officially to the Meghalaya government so far.
“Langpih is in adverse possession of Assam and is an area of difference between the two states. So any decision that is taken over Langpih, Meghalaya must be taken into confidence,” Sangma told reporters here.
Sangma also rued that the Assam government has not replied to its request to hold meeting to discuss the Langpih border impasse. “We (Meghalaya government) are waiting for an official communication from our Assam counterpart to hold discussions on Langpih as soon as possible. So far the Assam government has not replied to our written communication,” he added.
Meanwhile, with media reports from Kathmandu stating 17 deaths and displacement of 40,000 people from the Nepali community from Meghalaya, Sangma rejecting the reports, said they were “fabricated and baseless.”
“Nobody from Kathmandu has approached the Meghalaya government for clarification. These reports are deliberately being spread with a malicious intention,” Sangma stated.
In the aftermath of the Langpih firing incident in which four local residents were killed and several injured, a 70-year-old cowherd was burnt alive together with his life stock here.
“None came forward to complain, how do I know who has left Shillong,” Sangma said reacting to the ‘quit notices’ issued to Nepali settlers in Khasi-Jaintia hills by NGOs.
He said Langpih has been a long-pending dispute, warning that none should take advantage of the issue as both the Meghalaya and Assam governments are seriously trying to resolve the issue.
Sangma instead sought the “help and cooperation of everyone” for maintenance of peace and harmony in the state.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News