Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Curfew continues in Kashmir towns
Srinagar, Jul 1 (IANS):
Published on 1 Jul. 2010 11:20 PM IST
Print  Text Size

Life across the valley remained paralyzed Thursday as curfew continued in many towns of north and south Kashmir while fresh curfew was imposed in the south Kashmir towns of Mattan and Koimohmore.
An indefinite curfew continued for the sixth day in north Kashmir’s Sopore town and for the second day in Anantnag, Kulgam and Pulwama in the south.
Although authorities refuse to call it curfew, strict curfew like restrictions continued in seven police station areas of the summer capital Srinagar Thursday. “There are preventive restrictions in place in some Old City areas but we are not disallowing any genuine civilian movement. Preventive measures are just against miscreants and anti-social elements,” said a police officer. The restrictions have been imposed in areas falling under Rainawari, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj, Safa Kadal, Soura and Parimpora police station areas.
A police officer said the situation was comparatively better Thursday. “Private transport is normal in all uptown areas (of Srinagar) and people are thronging shops in Old City.” Srinagar district police chief Ashiq Hussain Bukhari said: “The situation is being monitored and the restructions will not remain in place a minute more than necessary.”
In Anantnag town, an indefinite curfew was imposed Tuesday after widespread violence followed the killing of three teenagers in firing by security forces. Eight youths have been killed in firing by security forces in the last one week.
15,000 start Amarnath Yatra amid Kashmir turmoil
The annual Amarnath pilgrimage kicked off from the Kashmir Valley Thursday with over 15,000 men and women beginning the climb to the cave shrine dedicated to Hindu god Shiva.
“More than 7,000 yatris began their uphill 14-km trek at 8 Thursday morning from Baltal to the cave. Another 1,100 yatris has left the Manigam transit camp for Baltal,” a police officer said here.
“All the pilgrims are safe. Adequate security arrangements have been made at Baltal, Manigam and all along the route,” he added. The nearly two-month-long Amarnath pilgrimage ends Aug 25. Another batch of 8,000 pilgrims left the Nunwan base camp in Pahalgam town for Chandanwari, the first of the four stopovers in the 35-km trek from Pahalgam to the cave shrine, located at a height of 13,500 feet.
The pilgrims Wednesday left Jammu for the Himalayan cave shrine in south Kashmir. Hari Prasad, 49, a resident of Haryana who left the Manigam transit camp for Baltal, said: “We shall pray for peace in Kashmir and the rest of the country when we reach the holy cave. “This is the land of saints and ‘rishis’ (sages) besides being the abode of Lord Shiva. The people here are nice and hospitable. This is my third yatra and I know the locals have always helped the yatris in emergency.” Extraordinary security arrangements have been made for the pilgrimage this year because of the heightened tensions in the Kashmir Valley.
Around 3,000 Border Security Force (BSF) troopers reached south Kashmir’s Anantnag district Wednesday to provide security. While 1.5 lakh pilgrims have registered so far, it is expected that the number of pilgrims will cross the half-million mark this year. The cave shrine has a natural ice stalagmite that is worshipped as a Shiv Lingam, a symbol of Lord Shiva.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2