Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Pak based Hizb linked to J&K violence
Published on 10 Jul. 2010 12:21 AM IST
Print  Text Size

In clear signs of cross-LoC linkages to the latest trouble in Kashmir, talks intercepted by security agencies reveal how a Hizbul Mujahideen activist based in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir enquires from a local contact about the status of protests and government response.
The undated transcripts of the conversation describe a person in Shopian in South Kashmir informing Abdul Inquilabi about protests, curfew and troop movement into Srinagar.
“Kya baat hui hai yaar (what has happened, friend?),” asks Inquilabi, who according to security agencies is a Hizbul Mujahideen activist based in PoK.
“Pata nahi, halat kharab huyi hai (I do not know, the situation has deteriorated),” responds the unidentified person from Shopian, according to the transcripts.
“Yeh Hindustani fauj panga le rahi hai Kashmiriyon ke saath. Yeh kahan Chhodegi inko (The Indian Army is troubling Kashmiris. It will not spare them),” remarks Inquilabi.
Chhodte nahi yeh (They don’t spare),” is the response.
Then Inquilabi asks whether stone-pelting has begun and the answer is in affirmative.
Inquilabi asks whether a procession is to be taken out on that day and the response is that at 9 AM it will start.
The Shopian-based person says that an announcement had been made in the morning that all should participate in the protest. He then informs that security forces have clamped curfew at night itself. Inquilabi says that he has heard about more Army being requisitioned. The response is, “yes, some has reached.”
Inquilabi then asks, “was Army not there earlier?”
His contact replies that it is in some strength in Srinagar, but in Shopian and Pulwama it is CRPF and police.
At least 35 people, including 20 policemen, were injured as mobs pelted stones at the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir after the Friday prayers. The authorities later in the day relaxed the curfew throughout the Valley to enable the people observe the Shab-e-Meraj religious festival.
Police said a mob assembled after the Friday prayers in south Kashmir’s Kakpora town and resorted to heavy stone pelting at the security forces.
“The mob attacked the local police station and attempted to torch it after the Friday prayers there. Security forces used tear smoke shells and fired warning shots in the air to disperse the protesters,” a senior police officer said.
“One deputy commandant of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and around a dozen local policemen and CRPF jawans (troopers) were injured in the incident,” the officer said. Police said in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town, an angry mob resorted to heavy stone pelting.
“Around 10 policemen, including an officer, were injured in the mob fury,” a police officer said.
“Police used batons and fired warning shots to disperse the mob,” he added.
Reports reaching here said one youth pelting stones at the security men suffered a rubber bullet injury in the abdomen.
“The youth was shifted to Srinagar for treatment where doctors said his condition was out of danger,” hospital sources told IANS.
Youth also resorted to violence in the Hazratbal area of the city prompting security men to use batons and tear smoke shells to disperse the violent protesters.
“Some youth resorted to stone pelting in the area after which the curfew was reimposed there,” the officer said.
RDX recovered
At least 75 kg of RDX was recovered from Jammu and Kashmir’s Kishtwar district, police said Friday.
“This is one of the biggest recoveries of explosives in Jammu and Kashmir,” a Jammu and Kashmir Police spokesman said.
The spokesperson said the recovery was made on a tip that the militants had stocked a huge quantity of ammunition in the mountainous area of Chatroo, about 250 km from here.
About 250 grammes of RDX is sufficient to blow up a four-storey concrete building, a police source said.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News