Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Cong to continue budget debate
Correspondent Kohima, Jul 25(NPN):
Published on 26 Jul. 2010 12:10 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Congress Legislature Party leader Tokheho Yepthomi is likely to continue the opposition attack on the budget presented on July 22 by chief minister Neiphiu Rio who also holds the finance portfolio. The budget projected a massive deficit of Rs.603.64 crore for 2010-11 but the Congress believes it could swell to over Rs.700 crore.
According to party sources, Tokheho will also participate in the debate when the house resumes business on Monday. Earlier on Saturday, former chief minister and Congress legislator K.L. Chishi led the onslaught against the budget, which he described as a bundle of confusion though cosmetic. He said the chief minister’s budget speech was ‘fair and lovely’ but lacked substance. He also advised the government to improve revenues and adopt austerity measures to check uncontrolled expenditures on purchase of vehicles and facilities for VIPs. Chishi also came down heavily on the DAN ‘Road Shows’ and demanded to know how much was spent in each of the districts. NPCC president and Congress legislator I. Imkong said the budget was a rehash of previous ones and lacked vision and direction. He also urged the ruling coalition not to discriminate against constituencies held by opposition MLAs in developmental aspects. So far, the debate has been lively though it will need facts and figures to corner the government.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News