Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
1 abducted cop killed; Maoists sets new deadline; warn of more violence
PATNA, SEPT 2 (AGENCIES/PTI):
:
Published on 3 Sep. 2010 12:44 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

At 5 pm Thursday, Naxals in Bihar called local TV channels to declare that one of the four policemen they had kidnapped near Patna had been killed. Soon, sources in the Intelligence Bureau in Delhi confirmed the news. The Naxals didn’t reveal how they’d murdered Sub Inspector Abhay Prasad Yadav who was in his 30s.
The Naxals warned there could be more to come. The three policemen still with them, they said, would be safe only till 10 am on Friday, unless eight Naxal leaders are released from jail.
On Sunday, Yadav was among 40 policemen who were outpowered by more than 200 Naxals in Bihar’s Lakhisari district, 150 kilometres east of Patna. Seven cops were killed. The Naxals left the battle with Abhay Prasad Yadav, Mohammad Ehsaan, Rupesh Kumar Sinha and Lokus Tete. The sub-inspector is survived by his father, four children, and his wife who was taken to hospital on Thursday after pleading with chief minister Nitish Kumar in person to help rescue her husband.
On Thursday evening, at a public event, Kumar said he was open to talks with the Naxals. But some reports suggest that before Yadav’s death was announced, Bihar officials were in the midst of negotiations with the insurgents. The state police chief denied this. “By taking people hostage, I don’t know what example the Naxals are trying to set,” Kumar said. The centre has backed him, with the Home Ministry stating, “We are with the Bihar government. We fully support what they are doing.”
The chief minister’s tightrope skills will be severely tested now. A few months earlier, he said, “Naxal elements are a part of our society even though they have been misled onto the path of violence.”
Earlier, Rajni Yadav- wife of Abhay Yadav, pleaded with the government to step in and save her husband from the Naxals. His daughter’s heartrending plea and prayers, too, failed to move the Naxals of Bihar.
Lokus, an abducted victim’s wife Pyari Tete wife, said: “My only son has already died. I have three daughters. How will I feed them? He (Lokus) is the only earning member of my family.” ‘
Shafiq Ehsaan, brother of Mohammad Ehsaan, said: “There is no communication from the administration. We got all information only through the media. We don’t know where he is. Till now we have no information.”
However, local TV channels that claim to be in touch with the Maoists say the condition of one abducted cop, Rupesh Kumar Sinha, has deteriorated in captivity and he is being treated. The killing of Yadav has narrowed the choice before the state government. It’s either to go all-out offensive or budge under Naxals pressure. The government has clearly chosen the aggressive path and in process endangered the lives of three other abducted cops.
Rescue Ops intensified
Notwithstanding Nitish Kumar’s offer for talks with Maoists, the state government Thursday night decided to intensify operations to secure the safe release of the policemen taken hostage by Naxals as there was no guarantee the other three cops would be spared.
“The Maoists claim that they have killed one of the hostages, though we are yet to get any evidence of it. But as they have set a deadline of 10:00 am tomorrow, what is the guarantee that they will release the remaining three?” ADG (Hqs) P K Thakur said after a meeting at the chief minister’s official bungalow.
“In the given circumstances, we are left with no option other than further stepping up the operations for the safe release of the hostages,” Thakur told reporters after the meeting.
Avinash, a self-proclaimed Maoist spokesman, telephoned media offices here, claiming that one of the hostages, sub-inspector, Abhay Yadav, had been killed after the expiry of the deadline Thursday for freeing eight ultras in jail in exchange for the release of the hostages. He warned the remaining three hostages would be killed if the state government did not concede the demand by 10:00 am, September 3. After the chief minister’s offer of talks, he again rang up media houses to inform that the slain sub-inspector’s body would be left near a police station between 10-11:00 pm Thursday night. His body was later thrown near the Piri Bazaar railway tracks reports said. On the offer of talks, he said “if the state government is at all interested in talks we can be contacted on 09572825434.”
The Maoists have also warned the Bihar government of more violent attacks if the operations against Maoists were not immediately stopped. Bihar Director General of Police Neelmani said security forces would rescue the policemen soon. According to an official source, Nitish Kumar is supervising the rescue operations himself.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News