Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
No shutdown or curfew; normalcy returns to J&K
Srinagar, Sept 5 (IANS):
Published on 5 Sep. 2010 11:29 PM IST
Print  Text Size

Life returned to normal here Sunday as the separatists asked people to resume routine activities and the authorities decided not to impose curfew or restrictions anywhere in the Kashmir Valley.
“No curfew or restrictions are in place anywhere in the Valley today (Sunday),” a police officer said here. This is the first time in the last three months that authorities decided not to impose curfew or curfew-like restrictions anywhere in the region after the present unrest started June 11.
Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has appealed people to resume normal activities Sunday as per the protest calendar issued by him as part of his group’s ‘Quit Kashmir’ campaign.
People were seen shopping and some eductional institutions were open despite being a Sunday.
“This happens only in Kashmir. Who would believe it is a public holiday today? Shops, other businesses, public transport and some educational institutions are functioning here,” said Abdul Gani Bhat, 51, a local businessman here.
“Anyway, it’s nice to see people going around to shop for the coming Eid-ul-Fitr,” Bhat added. After the holy month of Ramadan ends around the 10th of this month, Muslims will celebrate the Eid festival due Sep 11. Authorities did not impose any curfew or restrictions here Saturday as well to ensure people could preparing for Eid festivities. So far, as many as 65 people have lost their lives in the ongoing unrest in the valley that started June 11.
The business community exasperated with repeated shutdowns, curfews and violent deaths, Kashmiris defied hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s strike call and went about their business as usual.
Shops and establishments, which had, for the most part been closed since mid-June — when Kashmir erupted over the death of 17-year-old Tufail Mattoo in police action — remained open on Saturday. So did banks, government offices and schools. Vehicles plied across Srinagar, as did inter-city buses connecting it with the Valley.
Authorities helped normalcy return and didn’t bother with curfew or restrictions on people’e movement. In contrast, they were earlier quick to impose prohibitory orders every time separatists called for bandhs.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News