Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
CWG mess: bridge collapse, 23 Injured; Games Village ‘Filthy’-CGF
Spl. Correspondent New Delhi, SEPT 21 (NPN/AGENCIES/IANS):
:
Published on 22 Sep. 2010 12:28 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

In yet another setback to the Commonwealth Games (CWG) to be held on October 3 at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (JLN), a major part of an under-construction foot bridge near the stadium collapsed Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m.
Deputy commissioner of Police HGS Dhaliwal confirmed that 23 labourers working at the site were injured in the incident out of which five were critical and admitted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre, while four others were rushed to Safdarjung Hospital.
However, PWD officials and Delhi chief secretary Rakesh Mehta claimed that only two workers were injured in the incident.
As per PWD principal engineer AK Sinha, the bridge meant to be used by visitors during the commonwealth games was being erected using special technology. “It works using a system of pins attached the structure and it seems one of the pin(s) snapped due to the rest of the bridge,” he said.
CGF ‘shocked’
With just two days to go for the athletes to arrive New Delhi for the Commonwealth Games, Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) president Michael Fennell said parts of the Village were still not fit for accommodation.
Fennell, who had raised concerns about the Village during his visit last month, has written a letter to Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrashekar. In his letter, Fennell wrote: “The Village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition.” New Zealand team’s chef de mission Dave Currie, who has been camping here for a week, warned the Games could be called off.
“That’s not a decision that we’ll make (alone) but there are some realities. If the village is not ready and athletes can’t come, obviously the implications of that are that it’s (the Games) not going to happen,” he was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald newspaper.
Mike Hooper, CGF chief executive, said he was disappointed over the state of cleanliness at the Games Village and called the conditions there “filthy.”
Meanwhile, CWG Organising Committee (CGOC) secretary-general Lalit Bhanot said Tuesday that the concerns about hygiene and cleanliness at the Games Village will be addressed and standards upgraded within 36 hour. Reacting to adverse reports regarding “filthy living conditions”, Bhanot said standards of cleanliness and hygiene differed from one person to the other and what one thought was clean may not appear that clean to others.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News