Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Ban condemns Nigeria bombings
United Nations/ Abuja, Oct 2 (IANS):
:
Published on 2 Oct. 2010 10:29 PM IST
Print  Text Size
 

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Friday condemned the bombings in Nigeria that left at least 14 people dead and assured the West African country of “unflinching support” in addressing the challenges confronting the most populous country in Africa, Xinhua reported.
A statement issued here by Ban’s spokesman, said: “The secretary-general condemns the car bombing today (Friday) near the venue of the National Day parade in (the capital) Abuja, which reportedly resulted in a number of deaths and destruction.”
“The attack was particularly sad coming on the day on which Nigerians were celebrating the 50th anniversary of their nation’s independence,” the statement said.
“The secretary-general expresses his sincere sympathy and condolences to the government and people of Nigeria and the bereaved families,” the statement added.
At least 14 people were killed as Nigeria’s main militant group the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) claimed responsibility for the twin car bomb blasts.
Nigeria’s 50th Independence Anniversary was celebrated at the Eagle Square, where a parade was being taken out when the bombs went off.
Meanwhile, Nigerian authorities hunted oil militants on Saturday who claimed responsibility for two car bombs that killed at least 15 people near independence celebrations in the first such attack in the capital.
Friday’s car bombs near where Nigerian leaders and foreign delegations had gathered escalated militant group MEND’s “oil war” and came despite a lull in attacks after thousands of rebels signed up to an amnesty programme last year.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News