Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Dimapur shutdown called off

A deserted look around NL Road, Dimapur as shops remained closed on Sunday for the second consecutive day due to the indefinite strike called by the business community. (NP)
Staff Reporter DIMAPUR, NOV 28 (NPN):
Published on 29 Nov. 2010 12:51 AM IST
Print  Text Size

The Dimapur Chamber of Commerce (DCC) and the business community have decided on Sunday to lift the ongoing bandh after 12 noon Monday.
The decision was taken at a closed door meeting held at Breeze restaurant on Sunday and attended by Hardware Merchants’ Association, Hotel and Restaurant Union, Nagaland Medicine Dealers’ Association, Dimapur District Business Community etc. “So far, the government has made no effort to contact us and police and district administration are at a loss and silent over the issue,” DCC president Kasheto Yepthomi said briefing media persons after the meeting.
DCC said the business community decided to lift the bandh taking into consideration the ongoing examinations and festive season when people from neighbouring districts and villages have come to Dimapur for shopping and were facing problems.
However, as decided earlier, the DCC and the business community would take out a silent protest against rampant extortion and kidnapping of businessmen in Dimapur on Monday at 9am from Deluxe point to DC Court.
The business community would thereafter submit a memorandum to deputy commissioner Dimapur, Maongwati Aier. Following the silent procession, the bandh would be lifted from 12 noon.
On Tuesday, the seven-member team would leave for Kohima to meet chief minister Neiphiu Rio, DGP, K. Kire, chief secretary, Lalthara and home minister Imkong L. Imchen to submit the memorandum. The team members included Ato Yepthomi, Kasheto Yepthomi, M. Dennis, Pihoto, Hokivi, W. Khape and Basu Damani.
The DCC and business community would serve a seven-day ultimatum to the government to mull over the memorandum and to take appropriate action. If no satisfactory assurance or action was taken by the government, the DCC and business community said it would start its second phase of agitation.
Meanwhile, in connection with the kidnapping of Hariram Gupta who was released on November 26, the DCC has clarified that the ransom demanded by the kidnappers was Rs. 5 lakhs, and not Rs. 5 crore as published.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2