Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
CBI raids 3 CWG officials’ residence; two booked
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS)
:
Published on 30 Nov. 2010 11:58 PM IST
Print  Text Size
 

: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday searched the offices and homes of three Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) officials and filed cases against two of them - Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma - for alleged financial lapses.
The OC officials whose premises were searched said they were transparent and would extend support to investigations.
While Bhanot is the OC secretary general, Verma is the OC director general. A case has been filed against them for cheating and misuse of posts, a source said. Both are considered very close to OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
Raids were also conducted at the Green Park Extension residence of R.K. Sacheti, joint director general (coordination), OC.
According to the source, the CBI is still conducting searches at 11 places in the national capital and the neighbouring townships of Noida and Gurgaon in connection with alleged irregularities in the purchase of the Time Scoring Board used in the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games. “The searches are still on and all details will be provided,” an official maintained.
The CBI is probing the alleged irregularities in the OC’s contract of Rs.107 crore to a firm to procure the time scoring board.
“The CBI team came in the morning and they wanted to search the house, they did it, they were very nice and professional. They did their job and whatever they wanted to see we showed them. We were transparent totally,” said Bhanot.
“Whatever the decision (related to the Games), it has been jointly taken by the board, which includes government members as well as other members from various federations and the Olympic association…investigation is going on and whatever help they are asking we will extend,” Bhanot added.
Verma said that there was complete transparency in the work done by the OC.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) last month questioned Verma for his alleged role in the financial irregularities in the Queen’s Baton Relay in London in 2009.
Three other aides of Kalmadi -- T.S. Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M. Jayachandran -- are already in custody for their alleged involvement in the Queen’s Baton Relay scam.
The OC is understood to have paid AM Films - a sister concern of AM Car - over 450,000 pounds for services during the Queen’s Baton Relay function in London in October 2009 without following proper tendering procedures and paper work.
Kalmadi Monday claimed he had not committed any offence and was ready to answer all CBI questions.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News