Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Hornbill Festival 2010 bulletin
Dec 3:
Published on 4 Dec. 2010 12:51 AM IST
Print  Text Size

‘Hornbill International Photo Fest 2010’
Hectic preparation is on for ‘Hornbill International Photo Fest 2010’ which will take place at Millennium Hotel (Old Tourist lodge) from December 5 to 7. More than 100 photos both professional and amateur will be put up for competition. Judges for the event would be well known photographer from New Delhi, Munish Khanna (, and Alban Von Stockhausen from Germany ( Munish Khanna is known in the photography circuit as one of the most versatile and innovative young photographers. Trained in Digital Photography in New York, Munish continues to work on complex assignments in fields which are as varied as Fashion, Advertising, Food, Interiors, Jewelery, People, Art and Celebrities. His photographs and concepts appear with certain regularity in nearly all leading national as well as international magazines. He is actively involved in teaching photography to people from all over the world.
Alban Von Stockhausen studied Cultural Anthropology, Comparative Science of Religions and Easter Asian History of Art at the University of Zürich. He is currently writing his Ph. D thesis on “The Naga of Northeast India in the Photography of Hans-Eberhard Kauffmann” (Supervisor Prof. Em. Michael Oppitz) (abstract in German language). The gallery would be open for public from December 5 to 7 starting 10am to 6pm. (Correspondent)
Mumbai troupe to perform December 4
The 14 children who were selected by the Government of Nagaland, under the capacity building fund, to attend a program on dancing in Mumbai are now back in Nagaland with a lot off energy and confidence. The team from Mumbai would perform at the fashion show on December 4 at the Bamboo Hall in Kisama. The Government of Nagaland signed a contract with Idiot Box Productions and sent the children to Mumbai on September for training. Under capacity building fund, the Government paid 90% of the fees while the remaining 10% was paid by children themselves.
Uniqraft displaying innovative bamboo crafts
Uniqraft under concept toys are displaying a whole range of attractive toys from bikes, planes, trucks, trains, tractors, helicopters, push/pull toys and origami type toys made with bamboo, drawing huge crowd at the Hamilton hall, Kisama. The event was established with the main intention of encouraging and developing creative potential of the people of North-East India.
Neiketou from Uniqraft says “We wanted to promote bamboo by making something unique out of bamboo, because in the North East, we usually see very common items like baskets and trays”. Uniqraft formed with around fifteen (15) educated unemployed youth has its unit at 6th mile Dimapur at Nagaland Bamboo Resource Centre (NBRC). The toy designs are made at Kohima by private engineers from the Zynorique group where Richard Belho an architect from Bara-basti is one amongst them. Some of their boys are being exported to Vietnam and Belgium through the NBRC. The boys are also imparted training to the local people in the art of promoting bamboo products once in a year for a maximum of 5-6 days. NBDA sponsors the course fees ranging from Rs.80,000 to Rs.90,000 for one course of training.
Speaking to reporters from DIPR, Neiketou also informed that it usually takes around 6 days to make one toy bike also stating that mostly hand tools are used applying the theory of division of labour, where each member makes different parts to create the finished product. The cost of one bike is Rs.900 in Nagaland and Rs.1,200 in Delhi. Uniqraft plans to study and promote traditional craft skill of NE India populace. Uniqraft has been participating in the Hornbill Festival every year, making business while also promoting the potential of bamboo. Some of the contents in the visitor’s book written by a tourist says, “Please send detailed catalogue and wholesale prices, very impressive handiworks, very imaginative toys- congratulation and bamboo creative at its best very impressive”.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2