Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
GNLA rebels free kidnapped official
Published on 26 Nov. 2010 12:16 AM IST
Print  Text Size

A senior Meghalaya transport official and his driver, who were kidnapped by Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels, have been released unharmed after 56 days of captivity, even as family members of the official denied of having paid ransom for their release.
District transport officer of East Garo Hills district R. Syngkon and his driver Wanbormi Syngkon were freed by the captors Wednesday night at Samanda area, additional director general of police Rajiv Mehta said.
A top intelligence official said the victims were released after the rebels were paid a ransom of Rs.50 lakh. “We have learnt that they (Syngkon’s family members) paid `50 lakh of Rs 1.8 crore after much negotiations with the rebels,” the intelligence official said.
On September 30, five armed GNLA rebels abducted them from the official’s residence at Williamnagar after he refused to comply with the extortion demands of `60 lakh.
However, the family members of the freed transport official denied of having paid any ransom to the GNLA rebels for their release. “No ransom money was paid to them (GNLA). They set him free unconditionally,” R. Syngkon’s sister A. Syngkon said.
Police officials, who quizzed Syngkon and his driver at Williamnagar before being escorted to Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya, said that the transport official refused divulge much details on his release.
The victims are expected to be with the family members tonight.
However, the GNLA’s military wing chief Sohan D. Shira claimed that the official was kidnapped for indulging in ‘corrupt practices’ and warned government officials in the region not to indulge in corruption.
‘Each corrupt officer will meet with dire consequences or share the same fate or worse than Syngkon,’ he said.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News
  • 1
  • 2