Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
1,800 displaced persons returned home
Correspondent Mendipathar (Meghalaya), Jan 12:
:
Published on 13 Jan. 2011 12:21 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

Around 1, 800 people, who were displaced following the ethnic clashes in Meghalaya and Assam have returned home.
District authorities in Assams Goalpara district Wednesday further relaxed from 6 AM to 6 PM in areas falling Dhupdhara, Dudhnoi, Krishnai and Rongajuli police stations, while in Meghalayas East Garo Hills district, the authorities relaxed the curfew from 12 AM to 3 PM.
There were no reports of fresh violence from the areas to during relaxation period.
Altogether, 262 arsonists 159 in Assam and 103 in Meghalaya were arrested and criminal cases have been registered against them.
In Assams Goalpara district, two relief camps has been closed after the displaced wanted to go back to their homes, Goalapara District Magistrate P.K Goswami said.
He said 1,500 Garo tribesmen have returned to the respective villages after we assured them of security.
Similarly in Meghalayas East Garo Hills district, one of the 18 relief camps Wednesday has also been closed.
A Salpara relief camp has been closed in our side after around 300 Garo families returned to respective villages in Assam, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma told journalists.
He said more displaced people are expected to return to their respective hamlets once normalcy is totally being restored.
Ten people have died so far and scores were injured in the violent clashes between Garo and Rabha tribes that began Jan 1. Nearly 50,000 people were displaced from their homes and are staying in relief camps in Assam and Meghalaya.
Hundreds of houses were burnt down in the riot-hit areas of the state.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News
  • 1
  • 2