Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Assange to be extradited to Sweden
London, Feb 24 (IANS):
Published on 25 Feb. 2011 1:09 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Julian Assange, Australian whistleblower and founder of WikiLeaks, will be extradited to Sweden to face allegations of rape and sexual assault, a British court ruled Thursday.
Assange has been fighting extradition since he was arrested and released on bail in December here last year. He has denied the allegations made by two women in August.
Chief magistrate Howard Riddle delivered the judgment during a hearing at Belmarsh magistrate’s court in London, the Guardian reported.
However, an appeal is expected against the judgment, which would delay his extradition.
During a two-day hearing earlier this month, Assange’s lawyers argued that he would not receive a fair trial in Sweden.
They said the European arrest warrant issued by Sweden was invalid because the Australian national has not been charged with any offence and that the alleged assaults would not be legitimate extraditable offences.
Assange fears that an extradition to Sweden would make it easier for the US government to extradite him to America to face charges relating to the media release by WikiLeaks of leaked US embassy cables.
Though, Sweden would have to take permission from Britain for the onward extradition to the US.
Assange will now be in custody, because there is no system of bail in Sweden, until a possible trial or release.
The Australian ambassador to Sweden, Paul Stephens, wrote to the country’s justice minister last week to insist that, if extradited, any possible case against Assange “would proceed in accordance with due process and the provisions prescribed under Swedish law, as well as applicable European and international laws, including relevant human rights norms”.
Hopes fade for NZ quake missing
Christchurch, Feb 24 (Agencies): Hopes are fading of finding survivors beneath collapsed buildings in the aftermath of Tuesday’s earthquake in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.
Ninety-eight bodies have now been recovered and taken to a temporary mortuary. Prime Minister John Key said that number could rise substantially.
Police have said 226 people are missing - up to 120 of them at one site alone.
But they have also insisted it remains a rescue operation and that specialists are still hunting for signs of life. The earthquake struck at a shallow depth of 5km (3.1 miles) early in the afternoon on Tuesday, when the South Island city was at its busiest.
It was Christchurch’s second major tremor in five months, and New Zealand’s deadliest natural disaster for 80 years.
Hundreds of foreign search and rescue specialists - from the US, UK, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan - arrived in the city on Thursday to help police and soldiers combing through the dangerously unstable ruins.
They used sniffer dogs, sound detectors, thermal imaging equipment and cameras to detect any signs of life, but as the day drew to a close there had been none. The last survivor was found on Wednesday afternoon.
Despite the lack of results, many of the rescuers remained hopeful.
“Miracles happen and we’re keeping that in the forefront of our minds. That sort of thing drives you and pushes you on,” Keith Norton told the Reuters news agency.
Supt Dave Cliff, the police district commander, said there might be between 60 and 120 bodies alone beneath the collapsed Canterbury Television building, which has been deemed “unsurvivable”.
It contained the offices of a local TV station, a language school and a nursing school. The missing include several Japanese nationals who were studying at the language school.
Search and rescue personnel returned to the site on Wednesday evening, after withdrawing earlier because of the risk of collapse of the nearby Hotel Grand Chancellor, Christchurch’s second tallest building.
Another 16 to 22 people are presumed to have died in Christchurch Cathedral, which lost its spire and a section of roof, Supt Cliff said.
Rescue teams have resumed their search of the Pyne Gould Guinness building - the location of the last rescue - after pulling out on Thursday morning because aftershocks were making the structure unstable.
Police have said there may be 20 people unaccounted for inside.

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News