Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
Khekiho requests centre for 100% funding
Published on 27 Feb. 2011 12:38 AM IST
Print  Text Size

Rajya Sbaha MP Khekiho Zhimomi has urged the Union Government to revert back to 100% funding pattern as was originally agreed upon when Nagaland became a state un Indian union.
Taking part in the motion of thanks to the Presidential address February 24, Khekiho reminded that when Nagaland was created it was placed under External Affairs Ministry with full funding from the centre. He said this arrangement was made keeping in view Nagaland’s poor economic status and inability to mobilize its own revenue.
The MP pointed out that since then, the state had been running smoothly till 1997 when 100% funding was withdrawn and the state clubbed with other special category states. After 1997 the state had to mobilize its own resource of 10% which he said proved a Herculean task.
He also spoke on the cease fire agreements with the NSCN(I-M) and NSCN(K) in 1997 and 2001 respectively but that even after 14 years ot talks no “permanent solution is arrived at.”
He said the people were also kept in the dark about what the negotiators were talking in 70 rounds of talks.
Khekiho said when negotiators were locked in talks like marriage, why were the parties afraid of “that a baby would be born?”.
It was also stated in a communiqué that on February 25 the MP “introduced in Rajya Sabha, for providing procedures for effecting Article 371 A (i) (a) of the constitution of India in relation to the state of Nagaland which is the main clause that protect the land and its resources etc”

Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
More News