Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
48-yr old CM's mansion burned

GUTTED: Official residence of CM on Tuesday (CJ: Vime Thou)
Correspondent Kohima, Feb 8 (NPN):
:
Published on 9 Feb. 2011 1:06 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

Nagaland chief minister Neiphiu Rio, the eighth incumbent of the sprawling chief minister’s official bungalow here, saw the ruination of the 48-year old building after a devastating fire broke out at around 6.20 p.m. which was brought under control only after 8 p.m.
According to sources in the chief minister’s office, the fire was caused by sparking electrical wires at the roof comprising of wooden structures and plyboards.
Chief minister Neiphiu Rio was entering his residence after attending to official works at the nearby office, when he noticed there was no light in the residential wing. He quickly asked his office staff to ascertain the cause of the power failure. Later when an electrical staff arrived, it was discovered that the wooden beams and roof had caught fire and spread rapidly, consuming the ancient wooden structures.
The fire service was immediately called but was slightly delayed since the fire engines could not drive up the steep incline to the bungalow due to the weight of water in the compartments. It was only after some water had to be drained out that the fire engines could reach the bungalow which was already in flames. A total of around nine fire engines were pressed into service. With hundreds of vehicles blocking the road from Jail Colony to Ministers’ Hills carrying both the curious and the concerned, it was impossible to move and this had also caused problems for those who were on way to assist fire fighting.
The sources said the chief minister’s office was left untouched though more than 40 percent of the bedrooms and living room in the house were burnt. Police immediately cordoned off the entire premises while salvaging works were being undertaken.
Residents of neighbouring areas claimed that several loud bursts, sounding like gun fire were also heard, which was believed to have been bursting of live ammunition due to intense heat belonging to the chief minister’s security staff.
While the CMO sources denied that any vehicle was burnt, it was speculated that one vehicle was also burned during the inferno.
The first occupant of the bungalow was P. Shilu Ao, the first chief minister of Nagaland in 1963 and it had been the residence of other chief ministers such as –T.N. Angami, Hokishe Sema, Vizol, J.B.J asokie, S.C. Jamir, K.L. Chishi, Vamuzo and Neiphiu Rio.
Organisations express sympathy
Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) has expressed sadness over the “unfortunate fire incident” at the chief minister’s official bungalow Tuesday evening.
“The NPCC is saddened at the incident and at the same time felt that this incident could be a lesson for the state on the level of preparedness in case of such incidences,” NPCC general secretary Medokul Sophie said.
He stated that though NPCC was not questioning the efficiency of the state fire services, it was yet concerned with the level of preparedness of fire services in tackling such disasters.
Meanwhile, in separate press notes, Angami Baptist Church Council, and MLA Dr. Nicky Kire along with party members of NPF 9 A/C Kohima Town have also expressed sympathy to the chief minister, his family, staff and all residents over the fire in the chief minister’s official residence.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News
  • 1
  • 2