Breaking News
Nagaland Post Logo
You are here:  Skip Navigation LinksHome » Show story
NSWC on failure to arrest Jan 3 rape accused
Correspondent Kohima, Feb 8 (NPN):
:
Published on 9 Feb. 2011 1:09 AM IST
Print  Text Size
 

The Nagaland State Women Commission (NSWC) today expressed serious concern over the failure to apprehend the accused of January 3 Kikrüma rape case even after a lapse of more than a month.
Terming it as unfortunate, NSWC chairperson Sano Vamuzo said the failure to arrest the accused culprit, identified as former Naga Wrestling champion Tsahuyo Thira, who has been absconding even after more than a month of the incident is an insult to the woman in particular, the village council, the society and the state government as a whole.
Sano said the Commission was constantly in touch with the Chakhesang women organizations, district administration and police including DGP Nagaland, SP Phek, investigating officer and DC Phek. Authorities reportedly told the commission that manhunt to nab the accused culprit was on, adding that however, he has been able to evade arrest so far, allegedly with the help of some relatives and Khel members.
NSWC chairperson also revealed that the Kikrüma Village Council chairman, when contacted, told the commission that he had met the ADC over the same case and that the latter had expressed helplessness, suggesting for a compromise and settlement as per the customary law. The chairman however, was said to have refused as the case was already beyond the ambit of the VCC. Stating that news of absconding accused reportedly moving from one place to another while in hiding had already created “fear psychosis” among the womenfolk of the area, Sano said the women were now even afraid to go to the fields.
“The accused is a habitual offender and he should surrender for the safety of all,” the NSWC leader asserted.
Supplementing to the chairperson, NSWC member Abeni TCK stated that the commission would not accept or allow any settlement through customary law in the case as the accused was allegedly a habitual offender. It was learnt that January 3 rape case was the fourth time the accused had committed similar offences.
Meanwhile, the NSWC expressed “wonder” as to why the authority concerned had not initiated disciplinary actions on the accused as yet, by suspending him from his service as a government employee.
The alleged rape of a minor girl of class-X by one Tsahuyo Thira at Kikrüma village on January 3 had invoked wide condemnation from different organizations, demanding for his immediate arrest and awarding befitting punishment.

 
Comments:(0) Login or Register to post your Comment
(Available for registered users only)
 
 
 
News:
Date:
 
More News