With the recent declaration of Molungyimsen as an education heritage village by the government, the tag of being the cradle of modern Naga education and civilization only got further affirmed. In this backdrop, the Clark Community Development and Environmental Centre (CCD&EC) headed by retired ADGP J Bendang has gained more importance in highlighting the history of Dr E W Clark and his wife Mary Mead.
Established in 1992 during the Ao CYE centenary year, CCD&EC took up the initiative of constructing the Clark light tower signifying the coming of light of God to the Nagas from the dark days of head hunting. Built with numerous contributions from various individuals and organizations, the total amount of donations stood at Rs.40,80,000 lakhs in hand with another seven lakhs has been promised by other individuals.
A release issued by the CCD &EC chairman J Bendangtoshi asserted that with setting up of the Christian Mission Centre in Molung; the head hunting practice and Molung was founded by the Christian community who were free to worship at the centre. The first ever Christian intermarriage also took place between a Naga bride and non-local groom in 1878.
CCD&EC also informed that the first missionary W E Witter was sent from Molung for Wokha mission in 1885 with donation of Rs.500 from Dr E W Clark and Molung church contributed Rs.18.8 annas for sending Dr & Mrs SW Rivenburg to Kohima in February 1887 to reactivate the Angami mission. Moreover, Dr Clark also donated Rs.3000 for translation of Bible into Angami dialect.
Another significant achievement was the establishment of the first formal school in Nagaland at Molung in 1878 by Mary Mead Clark.
Some of the other first included the establishment of women fellowship “Mezung Nagatsur ola’ in 1880, separate youth clubs for women and men which was founded at Molung, rural development work in the form on making the suspension bridge over river Milak in 1888, setting up of printing press ‘Molung Sabha Gana’ in 1882, social reform with the burial of dead body in Molung, appointment of Tzudimeren as GB in a Christian village in 1886 and starting of young people society by Rev & Mrs S A Perrine on December 18, 1892.
Some of the important literary works carried out by Dr E W Clark as informed by CCD&EC include Ao Naga premiere No1 in 1877, Naga catechism in 1878 followed by a revised edition in 1883, Gospel of Matthew in 1882, Gospel of John and Naga hymn book in 1884 and revised edition in 1900, Ao Naga grammar with illustrative phrases and vocabulary, Shillong, Assam Secretariat press (with Mrs Clark) and Ao Naga Premiere No2 in 1883. the revised edition of Matthew and John in 1905, Ao Naga dictionary with Mrs Clark in 1911.
The main features of Dr. Clark evangelism included creation of an active role for local converts and ethosd of self help, establishment of schools and medical services and literary works.